Upgrading my mower

Threads
Just to give you an update. I am still undecided. I am waiting for the dealer to call me back for a demo of the 36, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. It just has such a specific use in my mowing route that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Ideally I would use the 21 for the front yards and the 36 for the back, because the front yards have lots of obstacles. But my trailer isn't big enough for both. If I put a 36 on the trailer I'm not even sure I could fit the trimmer and blower. Which makes me want to upgrade my trailer. But if I do that I need to get a better truck. And so you see its a never ending process. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll just keep my current setup this year and spend the money on a backpack blower for leaf cleanups. $400 is cheaper than $3500. I kind of have a niche with the mower I use now. People like the quality, and I don't want to sacrafice that. And in the summer I'm usually done mowing in the morning, and with the belt drive I wouldn't be able to start at 7:30 am like I do now. I know you are all tired of my indecisiveness, but I had to rant.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just to give you an update. I am still undecided. I am waiting for the dealer to call me back for a demo of the 36, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. It just has such a specific use in my mowing route that I'm not sure if it's worth it. Ideally I would use the 21 for the front yards and the 36 for the back, because the front yards have lots of obstacles. But my trailer isn't big enough for both. If I put a 36 on the trailer I'm not even sure I could fit the trimmer and blower. Which makes me want to upgrade my trailer. But if I do that I need to get a better truck. And so you see its a never ending process. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll just keep my current setup this year and spend the money on a backpack blower for leaf cleanups. $400 is cheaper than $3500. I kind of have a niche with the mower I use now. People like the quality, and I don't want to sacrafice that. And in the summer I'm usually done mowing in the morning, and with the belt drive I wouldn't be able to start at 7:30 am like I do now. I know you are all tired of my indecisiveness, but I had to rant.

If you can start in the morning at 7.30 am with the 21" why can't you use or start with the 36? What difference does it make?

Threads
If you can start in the morning at 7.30 am with the 21" why can't you use or start with the 36? What difference does it make?

I have never heard of a mower being able to cut wet dewy grass like my Honda can. I have seen reviews on the Exmark Commercial 30 saying he tried to cut wet grass with the 30, and had to switch to his Honda 21". And I can't imagine the 36 would do great, considering its side discharge. The northern grass up here likes to clump.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I've put a lot of thought into what mower I'd buy if I ever bought a new one and it'd definitely be a Honda HRX217HYA. I like the set up of the controls, great engine, and can bag or mulch in damp or dry grass. Not that this helps u decide on your new mower but your Hondas are great.

Threads
I've put a lot of thought into what mower I'd buy if I ever bought a new one and it'd definitely be a Honda HRX217HYA. I like the set up of the controls, great engine, and can bag or mulch in damp or dry grass. Not that this helps u decide on your new mower but your Hondas are great.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking about sticking with the HRX for this year. I do love it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

And your saying that the Toro or The Exmark 30" or that 36"wont bag wet grass ??? Because you would be wrong on both counts.

I have never heard of a mower being able to cut wet dewy grass like my Honda can. I have seen reviews on the Exmark Commercial 30 saying he tried to cut wet grass with the 30, and had to switch to his Honda 21". And I can't imagine the 36 would do great, considering its side discharge. The northern grass up here likes to clump.

I know your a Honda fan and I was too, but I found out it isn't the mower I thought it was. I ran the 190cc Honda engine for a number of years and thought it was great but I can tell you it doesn't come close to the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI commercial engine
For one the Honda your using isn't commercial, not even close. The 30' and 36 your looking at are far better mowers than the Honda you're using. You talk about the mower being able to cut wet dewy grass, well I start at 7:30 to 8:00 am everyday with 90 and 100% humidity and mow lawns that are so wet you would swear you had 2 inches of rain during the night and the 30" Toro cuts and mulches without issue.
You know that I'm not a fan of a belt drive WB but if you remove the High Lift blades and replace them with the G5 or G6 Blades you have a far better cut wet or not than your Honda will deliver.

Threads
And your saying that the Toro or The Exmark 30" or that 36"wont bag wet grass ??? Because you would be wrong on both counts.

Yes I'm sure the 30 and 36 bag great (if you want to spend hundreds extra on a bagger for the 36), but I can not handle bagging all of my yards' grass. I don't have room on my trailer for it and it costs $10 per trailer to dump it. I need a mower to mulch, which most can't do like my Honda.

I know your a Honda fan and I was too, but I found out it isn't the mower I thought it was. I ran the 190cc Honda engine for a number of years and thought it was great but I can tell you it doesn't come close to the Kawasaki FJ 180 KAI commercial engine
For one the Honda your using isn't commercial, not even close. The 30' and 36 your looking at are far better mowers than the Honda you're using. You talk about the mower being able to cut wet dewy grass, well I start at 7:30 to 8:00 am everyday with 90 and 100% humidity and mow lawns that are so wet you would swear you had 2 inches of rain during the night and the 30" Toro cuts and mulches without issue.
You know that I'm not a fan of a belt drive WB but if you remove the High Lift blades and replace them with the G5 or G6 Blades you have a far better cut wet or not than your Honda will deliver.

I'm sure the cut quality will be nice, but I just worry about leaving clumps. Also a lot of my houses have large windows and side discharge scares me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I'm sure the 30 and 36 bag great (if you want to spend hundreds extra on a bagger for the 36), but I can not handle bagging all of my yards' grass. I don't have room on my trailer for it and it costs $10 per trailer to dump it. I need a mower to mulch, which most can't do like my Honda.

I'm sure the cut quality will be nice, but I just worry about leaving clumps. Also a lot of my houses have large windows and side discharge scares me.

I never use side discharge with the Turf-Master. The couple of times I used the side discharge it did a great job. The 30" mowers cut grass so fine withe the side discharge chute on it doesn't leave a lot of clippings. The secret to the 30's is to let the mower do what it's designed to do and not push it. You adjust the mower to the speed you want to walk. The 36 inch will give you the same size clippings as the 30" if you use the right blades.
If you have clumping problems with grass then you've waited to long between cuts and your cutting to much grass.

Threads
I never use side discharge with the Turf-Master. The couple of times I used the side discharge it did a great job. The 30" mowers cut grass so fine withe the side discharge chute on it doesn't leave a lot of clippings. The secret to the 30's is to let the mower do what it's designed to do and not push it. You adjust the mower to the speed you want to walk. The 36 inch will give you the same size clippings as the 30" if you use the right blades.
If you have clumping problems with grass then you've waited to long between cuts and your cutting to much grass.

But the thing is I am always cutting too much grass off. The only time I follow the 1/3 rule is once the grass starts slowing down in like October.