Engine Type of Oil for Push Mower

jhngardner367

Threads
LOL! Carscw, how much hair have you pulled out,over this thread !??
Sometimes the simplest question can drive you nuts.
Like in the movie"City Slickers" where they're talking about programming a VCR !
NOT making fun of you Carscw,but I liked your comment !

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I to also use auto oil and have for as log as I've worked with small engines. Never seen any damage done by using automotive oils I've seen damage from using to thick and to thin of oil

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I put the same oil in everything.
My car my truck my go cart my mowers my 4stroke trimmers.
Everything thing gets the same. It's flipping oil. One thing I will say is never NEVER use a fram filter on anything you want to keep.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I put the same oil in everything.
My car my truck my go cart my mowers my 4stroke trimmers.
Everything thing gets the same. It's flipping oil. One thing I will say is never NEVER use a fram filter on anything you want to keep.

I've heard and read stories about fram oil filters... Scary stuff. I do use the fram paper air filters in both my cars I can't justify spending more money on a different brand for the same product

jakewells

Threads
use a sae 30 equivalent SJ, SL, SM, SN/CF
Heavy duty diesel or gasoline. using a multi weight the engine might consume some oil.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't use 2stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine... Use the oil that your manual recommends.. brand usually doesn't matter. Don't have a manual use 10w30 .... Again any brand change it regularly

^^^ This. ^^^^

Also, don't be fooled into thinking a synthetic oil can be changed less frequently, either. Since you are going to change it per the maintenance schedule (usually every 25-50 hours, depending on the mower) why bother with higher cost synthetic? Just use regular automotive 4-stroke oil, usually SAE 10W-30 for most OHV 4-stroke mower engines.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
^^^ This. ^^^^

Also, don't be fooled into thinking a synthetic oil can be changed less frequently, either. Since you are going to change it per the maintenance schedule (usually every 25-50 hours, depending on the mower) why bother with higher cost synthetic? Just use regular automotive 4-stroke oil, usually SAE 10W-30 for most OHV 4-stroke mower engines.

I run Amsoil synthetic oil in my personal use riding mowers. Still using conventional oil in the pushmowers, tillers, snowblowers, etc. Most Briggs and Tecumseh manual says to use SAE30 unless its used in the winter months then use 10w-30. The Honda's have a sticker on the side of engine saying "Use 10w-30 oil". I saw one sticker on Honda engine saying to use 10w-30 synthetic oil.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
^^^ This. ^^^^

Like I said before no one agrees on oil. I completely disagree on what you are saying here. You can get much longer running time out of synthetic oil. Your money and equipment so we don't have to agree. That is the very reason I use synthetic in everything.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get much longer running time out of synthetic oil.

I agree. Thinking on making the switch where my walk behind equipment uses synthetic also. I was on the phone with Amsoil tech dept couple weeks ago. He said there 4 stroke oil was only tested for SAE30. He also said I shouldnt have any problems using the OEM or XL 10w-30 or 5w-30 in lawn equipment and engine would last longer too.

LawnEq

Forum Newbie
Threads
I havent had any problems yet using automotive 10w-30/SAE30 in a 4 stroke mower. So I'll disagree with last few sentences that you posted.

I would agree that some additives will not harm the small engine, but they don't have any significant benefit.