Troybilt Pony Muffler Smoking/Overheating (melting spark plug wire)

what problem came first?

How much use had the engine seen without that problem before it happened?

engine model number and serial and/or at least Pony model number and serial.

What spark plug number are you running in it?
MODEL NUMBER
13AN77KG011

SERIAL NUMBER
1D239B462010
00001

The spark plugs have been 3 different ones, not sure the model numbers off the top of my head, just the called for one by the manual brands being Champion, Autolite, and not sure of the other.

The surging seems to have been happening with the overheating muffler and melting coil wire, though now with a new carb the engine runs fine but it still overheats.
 
it melted a new plug wire after the new carb?
Sorry, it has melted 2.

The first/original one and a second one even with a heat shield wrap on it.

I caught on and started to pull it off the plug and put it to the side when it started smoking to ensure it didn't stay exposed to the heat (but obviously this has been problematic in trying to fix it, having to disconnect the spark plug everytime only after 1-2 minutes of running).
 
Last edited:
I believe several are broke but not to that extent in photo, just 3-5 that are broke in half.

Do you think several of them like this would make a big difference in it's cooling ability?
Yes.

Engine was designed and manufactured with x amount of cooling blades. Just like removing one blade off your living room ceiling fan. Not going to cool as well.

Fix the cooling fin situation. I would change the oil while you are at it. You've superheated the entire engine.
 
Yes.

Engine was designed and manufactured with x amount of cooling blades. Just like removing one blade off your living room ceiling fan. Not going to cool as well.

Fix the cooling fin situation. I would change the oil while you are at it. You've superheated the entire engine.
Okay, yeah I'll get the new flywheel fan.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help Slomo.

Also, any tips for getting the flywheel bolt off? It says you have to put a string in the spark plug hole to stop the piston from moving so it stops turning but I would rather not stick anything in there.

Is this generally safe to do though?
 
Okay, yeah I'll get the new flywheel fan.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help Slomo.

Also, any tips for getting the flywheel bolt off? It says you have to put a string in the spark plug hole to stop the piston from moving so it stops turning but I would rather not stick anything in there.

Is this generally safe to do though?
Impact gun and an impact socket. Only way to fly. Either electric or pneumatic take your pick.

For removing flywheels, air hammer and a prybar.
 
Back
Top