Trimmer engine choice

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which Trimmer or Edger Engine would you rather run.

Four mix

Four Stroke

Two Stroke

earthworm

Threads
Four Mix....whatever that is....I think a trimmer engine should be as light as possible....The one I have now is far too heavy, but it can also till and edge...it does nothing well...
The brand name will follow when it warms up and the rain stops.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Four Mix....whatever that is....I think a trimmer engine should be as light as possible....The one I have now is far too heavy, but it can also till and edge...it does nothing well...
The brand name will follow when it warms up and the rain stops.

A four mix engine is a single cylinder four stroke engine with gasoil lubrication. Most of what Stihl has on the market is the four mix stuff, trimmers, blowers etc.

1970_raider10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which Trimmer or Edger Engine would you rather run.

Four mix

Four Stroke

Two Stroke

Four mix-very eco friendly...weighs only slightly more than a 2 stroke, stihls answer(more like an "f" you) to the small 4 cycle trimmers. generally considered powerful, but reliability has been in question

Four cycle-HEAVY, But powerful motors, the most eco friendly. becoming more and more standard as the EPA pushes back to outlaw 2 strokes by 2020...reliability is questionable on cheaper models. (MTD,Sears,Poulan, ect..)

Two stroke-light weight, gains higher rpms than any four stroke(or four mix) can. can be as powerful as a 4-type, but it is limited to a certain rpm range of efficiency (power band). Hated by anyone who is worried about emissions...but getting better as engineering makes them more efficient.

I use four mix at work, but I will only EVER own a two stroke. you really can't beat em for price, reliability, and weight. I spend too much time tinkering with stihl carbs to consider wanting to own a four mix.

Parkmower

Threads
I've only owned and operated 2 strokes. Gimme a straight shaft 2 cyl anyday

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have two Stihl FourMix units, a BR 600 back pack blower and a KM 90 for which I have several different attachments, string trimmer being the most used. I know that the FourMix powerheads had some problems early on but supposedly have been resolved. I still have the two strokes that I had when I bought the FourMix units. There is something about a good running strong two stroke that is hard to beat. I did sell the two stroke back pack blower as it was much heavier than the BR 600 and for that reason it wasn't getting used at all.
Stihl carbs for some reason are more problematic that the carbs on other brands although made by Zama, I'm not sure why but I have to deal with it.
This very same EPA not long ago was attempting to force California dairy and cattle men to install catalytic converters in the rears of farm animals to reduce methane levels, I cannot imagine how that would work out!!!! So the EPA will push to any level to get their way!! I have seen over 1,000 motorcycles all running at one time but never have seen over 1,000 pieces of power equipment running at the same time. So the EPA will go after the least organized group(s) and push their agendas. I'm not anti-motorcycle but very concerned about containing the EPAs power to a reasonable level. Countless American jobs have been lost due to EPA out of control rulings. The EPA will never be satisfied until there is no industry in the USA then they will go after dogs that have bad breath if they haven't already JMHO!!!!:mad::frown::thumbdown: to the Employment Prevention Administration
Mad Mackie in Taxonnnecticut

earthworm

Threads
I would not argue that man has not a tendency to become "carried away" or that we do not over-react..
The EPA must of course be controlled.
And, the truth must prevail.
The definition of pollution must be known.
In other words some "controlled pollution in places hurts nothing..
Unemployment can hurt worse than "stinky air"....
Is our EPA smart enough to know this ?
For me, its two stroke, from Stihls to Saabs......and LawnBoys...and Outboard Marines
A well engineered, modern "oil-burner" can be almost as efficient as the "non-oil-burner".
And it will be lighter and a little less expensive.....these things also matter, EPA.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two stroke Saabs, neat vehicle!!!! Somewhere in my woods is the engine from a Chech DKW, two stroke in line 2 or 3 cylinder liquid cooled. Someone gave it to me when I was building a homemade tractor similar to an Economy years ago, but I used a cast iron Briggs.
I cannot picture a four stroke chain saw of any power other than a small branch trimmer. One of my Husqvarna saws is 7 HP!!!!

Last edited: