transmission bypass rod

STEVES

Threads
broken drive belt, did you pull wheel & lose axle key, trans axle needs rebuild.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
broken drive belt, did you pull wheel & lose axle key, trans axle needs rebuild.
By just looking at the IPL you would know it has Double "D" ended axle so it would be impossible to lose an axle key.

Then question becomes how freely it rolls. Does it rolls as freely as it the bypass it pulled or offer considerable resistance. If considerable resistance then could be a broken or simply a belt that came off a pulley.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

If it rolls easily with the bypass rod in or out, follow the bypass rod up underneath to where the lever is on the transaxle. Make sure it is not hanging up and has free travel all the way in and out. If rod is fully engaging and disengaging, then most likely changing the oil will not repair it. As stated above, double check the drive belt and pulleys. Also check the pulley on top of transaxle and make sure it is firm and fixed and not spinning freely. If all that checks out, then probably it is catastrophic and transaxle needs major repair or replacement.

Gord Baker

Threads
Be sure the other end of the rod is connected.

davis2

Threads
By just looking at the IPL you would know it has Double "D" ended axle so it would be impossible to lose an axle key.

Then question becomes how freely it rolls. Does it rolls as freely as it the bypass it pulled or offer considerable resistance. If considerable resistance then could be a broken or simply a belt that came off a pulley.
My thoughts changed at "Double D"...

Richard C

Threads
Try changing the transmission fluid if that doesn’t work you probably have faulty hydraulic pumps
had a similar problem and had to open up transmission and found broken springs in pump replaced them and all worked ok

Darrell3958

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try changing the transmission fluid if that doesn’t work you probably have faulty hydraulic pumps
had a similar problem and had to open up transmission and found broken springs in pump replaced them and all worked ok
how do I change the fluid in it.....I know nothing about this so anything you could tell me would be great. Do you know of any videos where I can watch how they do it? thanks so much

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
how do I change the fluid in it.....I know nothing about this so anything you could tell me would be great. Do you know of any videos where I can watch how they do it? thanks so much

If you are talking about a transaxle on a riding mower, there are videos and information online. You need to locate the breather tube or filler cap and extract fluid with a pump (cannot typically get all of it this way.) Or, completely remove transaxle unit from mower and remove cap and turn it upside down.

jcworks

Threads
I had a similar issue on Toro ZTR but the rod was not disengaging the transmission. That is, I could not push the mower. After talking with the manufacturer of the transaxle I found that if I pushed it manually very hard it would disengage. My issue was that over time the rod had bent out of shape just a tiny bit and wouldn't push forward enough. I bent it back (just a little) to "lengthen" the rod. Then it worked.