TRACTOR OR ZTR

Which do you prefer to mow with

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
If there was a ztr that could collect grass over here it would be fantastic.
Yes they do clamshell collectors with the powered blower but they hate wet grass and in scotland we are 99 percent wet.
So westwood tractor with powered sweeper collector for me.

Mort1985

Threads
Kubota do a zero with a direct throw box on the back, high lift tip as well!! The GZD 21, I run one down in England and even with all the rain we have had recently it collects brilliantly

farris35

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ill stick to my lawntractors - down here in the sunshine state ive herd so many negative things about ZTR's ( people that use them/mowing services mostly ) - they tear up the grass , mow it so short , leave tracks all over..... the mowing service that does the empty house next door literally scalps the yard ( so they dont have to come back as often).

I dont have need for such a large machine as i only have a 1/3 of an acre, could use a push mower, but its too hot , plus i mow the other neighbors yard next to us. Always doing stuff around the yard, i mostly use my 86GTII to haul a trailer ( if its heavy enough).

ZTR's don't tear up the yard, the person driving it tears up the yard. If you half have a brain you can easily mow a yard with a ZTR and not tear it up. The driver tears up the yard because they are in a hurry and slam the corners. As for scalping the yard, that is also the driver, not the mower. You can raise and lower the deck on a ZTR.

I purchased a JD tractor mower to mow some of my properties mainly because I wanted to ride a "tractor" from my farm days. I have serveral trees to mow around and after one mowing, I call up the JD shop and asked if I could return it for a ZTR and to my surprise, they did take it back and swap me out. FYI: They did deliver it to me so I legally had 3 days to return it here but I didn't have to go there. The ZTR was more $$$.

If you are just mowing, I would say ZTR all the way. If you need it for garden work, a tractor, but keep an eye out for a good ZTR to mow with if you want two machines.

possum

Threads
Old fashioned here, lawn tractor.

fastback

Threads
I am very old fashion I still like garden tractors. ZTR's may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't eat bread:smile:

txzrider

Threads
for mowing I cant imagine anything being easier or faster than a ZT. With the exception of large fields where a bushhog would be used instead of a finish mower. My only reason for a tractor would be if it had a 3 point hitch on the back I could do other things with. Were I to live in a northern climate with snow... I guess I would have to compromise on something that would handle the snow as well as mow. But for pure mowing, ZT only. I also include the requirement to tow carts and things around the property. My 2 ZT's have never had issues or shown any ill effects from pulling my carts or even my golf cart trailer.

Popeye

Threads
ZTR for grass and areas where I am not going get into brush or really tall grass or terrain is too rough.
Tractor for places where I don't want to put the ZTR.

park4019

Threads
At home, mow with a 2013, 21" Troy Bilt, push mower, & a 2000 Murray 42" riding mower. At the gun club, use a 2010 ZT, "Bad Boy", 60". Hands down, the Bad Boy is more fun, & handles the greater acreage more easily. The Troy Bilt, & Murray, do the job, but the Bad Boy, as the name implies, does it in style.

park4019

Bill Martin

Threads
ZTR mowers are more efficient than tractors and easier to steer and less stressful on neck and shoulders

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree ZTR... & some models (Like my Toro) even have Hi & Low range, & Low is set up for yard work towing..