Export thread

TRACTOR OR ZTR

B

Black Bart

For me there is no contest the ZTR wins hands down but I would like to see what the rest think.

Parkmower

Parkmower

I see the advantages of both.
If I can only have one machine and I need it to do multiple duties like mowing, snow control, hauling. I'd go with a GT.

If I'm only mowing and I want it done. Im goin ZT.

Btw only machine at home is a ZT.
Have a walk behind snow thrower and driveways not too big.

K

KennyV

I would have, (and do have) a ZTR ... that runs a 72 inch rotary grooming mower, a Large Snow Blower, a very heavy duty finish flail mower... or other front mount attachments.
It has a full cab. I can tow with it if needed. Has a 4 cylinder Kubota Diesel, I have other tractors and mowers but if I want to get something mowed fast and Easy... The ZTR is my choice.

:smile:KennyV

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

For just mowing, Z-turn all the way.

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

Ill stick to my lawntractors - down here in the sunshine state ive herd so many negative things about ZTR's ( people that use them/mowing services mostly ) - they tear up the grass , mow it so short , leave tracks all over..... the mowing service that does the empty house next door literally scalps the yard ( so they dont have to come back as often).

I dont have need for such a large machine as i only have a 1/3 of an acre, could use a push mower, but its too hot , plus i mow the other neighbors yard next to us. Always doing stuff around the yard, i mostly use my 86GTII to haul a trailer ( if its heavy enough).

J

jenkinsph

I like mowing with my all wheel steer and use it for everything on finished lawns, but I would use a zeroturn if I mowed for a living.

F

faithjr

Well its hard to say. Tractors are great for large areas where there is less manuvering. Zeros are faster in tight areas by far. Zeros get stuck a whole lot easier than tractors and don't plow at all. So do what I did get both and have 2 times the fun. Oh and 2 times the headaches!!!!!

F

fastback

I'm old fashion I like tractors. They can do a lot of things like pulling a trailer or a log splitter. You can take things right to the site. You may want to plow snow or grade a driveway in the summer. How about plowing a garden. Maybe roto-till a parcel. How about pulling a grader. One thing we must not forget they also cut grass very well, mine is a 52-inch. I also use my tractor to move my 14-foot utility trailer in the yard. Oh, I have also seen the neighbor use it on a small (very) hay ride:thumbsup:

murph

murph

I like my Simplicity Conquest.. Nothing does better for lawn cutting and stripping. Then when the snow comes I put on my 42 in snowblower...

B

bodean

I use both for different tasks, but only own the ZTR as 90% of my work involves grass cutting. The ZTR is much faster and more maneuverable around the 60 or so trees, bushes, and flowers that my in-laws have. BTW, I cut not only my farm, but take care of the in-laws farm that includes 2 houses and yards. There are some areas that a GT type works best such as tight spaces that a ZTR will not fit between. This is the case on the in-laws farm with all the trees and yard trinkets that my 78 year old M-I-L likes to decorate the yard with. For the large rough open areas I use a JD 850 tractor with a finishing mower, for which I also have all the ground equipment to do just about anything else that requires heavy duty.

So, the short answer to this poll would be.....use what you need for what ever type work you do. BTW, Snow? What snow?

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

If there was a ztr that could collect grass over here it would be fantastic.
Yes they do clamshell collectors with the powered blower but they hate wet grass and in scotland we are 99 percent wet.
So westwood tractor with powered sweeper collector for me.

M

Mort1985

Kubota do a zero with a direct throw box on the back, high lift tip as well!! The GZD 21, I run one down in England and even with all the rain we have had recently it collects brilliantly

F

farris35

Ill stick to my lawntractors - down here in the sunshine state ive herd so many negative things about ZTR's ( people that use them/mowing services mostly ) - they tear up the grass , mow it so short , leave tracks all over..... the mowing service that does the empty house next door literally scalps the yard ( so they dont have to come back as often).

I dont have need for such a large machine as i only have a 1/3 of an acre, could use a push mower, but its too hot , plus i mow the other neighbors yard next to us. Always doing stuff around the yard, i mostly use my 86GTII to haul a trailer ( if its heavy enough).

ZTR's don't tear up the yard, the person driving it tears up the yard. If you half have a brain you can easily mow a yard with a ZTR and not tear it up. The driver tears up the yard because they are in a hurry and slam the corners. As for scalping the yard, that is also the driver, not the mower. You can raise and lower the deck on a ZTR.

I purchased a JD tractor mower to mow some of my properties mainly because I wanted to ride a "tractor" from my farm days. I have serveral trees to mow around and after one mowing, I call up the JD shop and asked if I could return it for a ZTR and to my surprise, they did take it back and swap me out. FYI: They did deliver it to me so I legally had 3 days to return it here but I didn't have to go there. The ZTR was more $$$.

If you are just mowing, I would say ZTR all the way. If you need it for garden work, a tractor, but keep an eye out for a good ZTR to mow with if you want two machines.

P

possum

Old fashioned here, lawn tractor.

F

fastback

I am very old fashion I still like garden tractors. ZTR's may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't eat bread:smile:

txzrider

txzrider

for mowing I cant imagine anything being easier or faster than a ZT. With the exception of large fields where a bushhog would be used instead of a finish mower. My only reason for a tractor would be if it had a 3 point hitch on the back I could do other things with. Were I to live in a northern climate with snow... I guess I would have to compromise on something that would handle the snow as well as mow. But for pure mowing, ZT only. I also include the requirement to tow carts and things around the property. My 2 ZT's have never had issues or shown any ill effects from pulling my carts or even my golf cart trailer.

Popeye

Popeye

ZTR for grass and areas where I am not going get into brush or really tall grass or terrain is too rough.
Tractor for places where I don't want to put the ZTR.

P

park4019

At home, mow with a 2013, 21" Troy Bilt, push mower, & a 2000 Murray 42" riding mower. At the gun club, use a 2010 ZT, "Bad Boy", 60". Hands down, the Bad Boy is more fun, & handles the greater acreage more easily. The Troy Bilt, & Murray, do the job, but the Bad Boy, as the name implies, does it in style.

park4019

Bill Martin

Bill Martin

ZTR mowers are more efficient than tractors and easier to steer and less stressful on neck and shoulders

I agree ZTR... & some models (Like my Toro) even have Hi & Low range, & Low is set up for yard work towing..

ztrjim

ztrjim

Zero Turn Mowers are the way to go especially for yards that are bigger than 1 acre and with so many good quality entry level brands out there priced below $3,000.00 they're is sure to be one to fit most budgets.