Export thread

Traction

N

nodlenor

My Husqvarna 2554 has very poor traction. I bought a pair of wheel weights at a flea mkt. but they don,t fit. I guess I could make them work somehow but I thought I would get some ideas from you guys as to what the best way to solve my traction problem. Any inexpensive ideas for a solution will be apreciated. Ron.

bakerg

bakerg

You could fill your tires with what I think is called Rim Guard to get added weight for better traction.:thumbsup:

Carscw

Carscw

At the golf course we fill all tires with water

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

bakerg

bakerg

At the golf course we fill all tires with water

I guess it depends on where you live, if it doesn't freeze then water will work, or windshield washer fluid.:wink:

reynoldston

reynoldston

It all depends where you want this traction, lawn/grass/hills, dirt/mud, snow/ice, all around on everything??

Carscw

Carscw

bakerg said:
I guess it depends on where you live, if it doesn't freeze then water will work, or windshield washer fluid.:wink:

Did not think about this as we don't have to worry about it down here

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

Did not think about this as we don't have to worry about it down hereQUOTE]

I remember a real brutal winter about 1997 or 1998 when it pretty much froze all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. The boat engine manufacturer I worked for back then got a lot of bogus casting defect warrenty claims when the engines or manifolds froze because they never bothered/had to drain them for a normal winter.

N

nodlenor

I live in northern Missouri so I don't think water would be the right choice. Some type of non freezing fluid would be ok. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Carscw

Carscw

nodlenor said:
I live in northern Missouri so I don't think water would be the right choice. Some type of non freezing fluid would be ok. I guess I'll have to do some experimenting. Thanks for the suggestions.

How about a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water I think that would do it ?????

N

nodlenor

Anti freeze might work. I think what I really need is a pair of tractor bar tread tires. I don't suppose anyone has a pair of 23x10.50x12 tractor tread tires they don't need.

D

dodgefate

Hi! I have a yth20k46 and I have to cut some steep hills. After learing that the thing had noooooo traction I went to tractor supply and bought some agracultraul tires. like the ones in the link below. THese things are great! I rairly get stuck any more, only problem is that the suck in the snow or on wet plywood. good side is they cost about 60 bucks a peice!

Agricultural tire (tractor) - 13 x 5.00-6 ... 20 x 10.00-8 | SUPER LUG - Carlisle Tire & Wheel

N

nodlenor

dodgefate, I broke down and did the same thing. My tires are a little larger so they cost a little more but the results are the same. The difference in traction is amazing & worth the cost.

txzrider

txzrider

ditto for that type of tire... on my Snapper, the dealer at the time sold me what he called the "high traction" kit, which was comprised of 2 tires similiar to the link mounted on wheels for $130 out the door. They worked great!! so far on the new mower, I have not seen the need for this yet.

F

fastback

Got stuck in mud yesterday. Maybe I should be looking at those tires.

scott47429

scott47429

i had the husqvarna rz5426 and had the same problem no traction at all it would slide down hills spin on turns i for a set of carlisle super lugs they helped but you have to be very carful with them or they will dig holes real fast in your yard as you turn i was never more disappointed in a mower in all my lie as i was this one i had it 2 weeks and traded it for a exmark and no problems since granted i went to alot bigger and heaver mower more then what i need but i found it and got a great deal and couldn't wait to get the husqvarna out of my shed

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

A co-worker who works on mowers in his spare time said adding something to weight down the real wheels will damage the hydrostatic transmission. Just what he said. Because I asked him about this.

I have been used to rear engine Snappers all my life and got a good deal on a Craftsman 46" (made by Husquvarna) at Sears someone brought back because they said it vibrated too much.

It mows great as long as I am not on a hill. Terrible traction. I have to use my old Snapper to mow in certain places this one won't. The rear wheels are almost bald from where I have spun out!

I have heard of this AG tires from Northern and when these wear out I'm going to invest in a set.

D

dodgefate

Had the same problem I bought agrocutural tires from Tractor supply, There a bit pricey but make a huge diffrence.

J

Jimmyjo

I have 350 feet of road front (ditch) to mow and along a 500 ft raised driveway plus a mound septic system that was always a challange for any lawn tractor. Found these Carlise knobby tires marked way down at Walmart and decided to give them a try. That was four years ago and they completely solved my problem. Will they damage the lawn? If they spin then yes but I've done more damage with lawn tires spinning all the time. I have them on my Simplicity Regent and My Snapper L200. Here they are on my Snapper in for blade service.

Attachments

exotion

exotion

How does one go about filling tires with water? I wouldnt use antifreeze if it pops or spills on your lawn itll kill it. But windshield fluid is an idea .

Carscw

Carscw

You can buy a fitting that hooks up to a garden hose. Turn tire So air valve is at the top remove the valve core fill full then put air in.
To put window washer in I would use something like the top off a jug of slime.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

How does one go about filling tires with water? I wouldnt use antifreeze if it pops or spills on your lawn itll kill it. But windshield fluid is an idea .

Even pure antifreeze won't kill grass.

Pure water will rust out metal rims in no time. I have one of those little red wagons and after about 5 cans of fix-a-flat per tire, I finally gave up and decided to buy new tires. By that time the inside of the rims were so badly rusted from the the water in the liquid latex the bead section of the rims were badly pitted they required tubes. I grinded away what rusted metal I could and painted the inside and outside of the rims.

About as bad as that calcium crap they used to put in tractor rims. I had to replace the front wheel on my dad's 58 Ford 800 because even the *new* stuff rusted from the inside out. Don't know what the new stuff is.

Still trust my friend's judgement that putting anything to weigh down the rear end will wear out the transmission. I think AG tires are the way to go.

Tractor Supply seems to be the best place to buy tires.

exotion

exotion

The transmission thing makes since

T

Tater

The transmission thing makes since
Then maybe they should stop putting those same transmissions on the heavier more expensive mowers...lol... What he said seems like BS to me... Anyway since I still have my still goin 23 YO 60" Wheel Horse zero I took that awfull chance...lol...
I put my weight back on the rear of my 61" Husky ZTR and reinforced the lil front wheel brackets on the deck which are pretty light duty, and am very well pleased... The weight is not the problem, it's the weight ratio front to rear that determines traction IMHO... Anyway, mine does 100% better and I will later take pictures and try to post them... But till I do, it is a box with a pin on the bottom that sets in the draw bar pin hole and bolts to the vertical plate behind the engine and holds 4-Conc. cap blocks, greatly improved traction...:smile:...

And no I don't do wheelies...:rolleyes:...

Here are the promised pictures... I tell you my mower is a new machine and my hate has turned to love...lol...

008.jpg

You can hardly see it between the center blocks but there is a 1/8" x 1" tie or brace there...

009.jpg

I did add a bit of beef to the lil hitch plate too... The box pin just sets down in the hitch hole...

010.jpg

I spaced things out to take the corrogated plastic stuff to eliminate rattle, outsides and in between...

007.jpg

The 2 holes in the added plate are between the 3 holes in the original, giving more precise adjustment...

011.jpg

Anyway, that's how I did mine and it works for me... BTW-I have always put tubes in both these mowers tires so I can run a bit less pressure,
and don't have to balance out the pressure every time I mow...
The only bad thing now for me is, the grass is now dry and I have to go mow my neighbors yard and mine...
PS-I should add that I don't mow up or down any hills...

Have a good one...Tater...