Toro Timecutter 4225 42 inch

haydencampbell

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like there may be a short circuit in the wiring or a faulty component causing the fuse to blow every time you try to start the ignition. Here are some possible causes:

1. Faulty solenoid: The solenoid is responsible for engaging the starter motor when you turn the ignition key. If the solenoid is faulty, it can cause a short circuit and blow the fuse. You can test the solenoid by using a multimeter to check if it's receiving power when you turn the key.
  2. Shorted wiring: A short circuit in the wiring can cause the fuse to blow. Check the wiring for any signs of damage, such as frayed or melted wires. You can also use a multimeter to check for continuity in the wiring.
  3. Faulty ignition switch: If the ignition switch is faulty, it can cause a short circuit and blow the fuse. You can test the ignition switch by using a multimeter to check if it's sending power to the solenoid when you turn the key.
Regarding checking the starter motor, since you have already tested it with jumper cables and it works, it's likely not the cause of the problem.

It's also worth mentioning that throwing sparks from around the flywheel/motor is not a good sign and may indicate a problem with the ignition timing or spark plug. It's best to have a professional mechanic take a look at this issue to prevent any further damage to the mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Especially if you are guessing at the wiring. Lots of sparks is a very bad sign something was connected wrong and now there is eve n more damage.

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Especially if you are guessing at the wiring. Lots of sparks is a very bad sign something was connected wrong and now there is eve n more damage.
When it threw sparks it was right after I put a new spark plug in. Would that have anything to do with the sparks ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We are not there to look at things ourselves.

Sparks can comes several sources one of which could be a bad plug lead where mice have chewed it or even wires heavily chewed.

I have no idea of your electrical knowledge level but I did provide the wiring schematic for you to reference in troubleshooting. But guessing can get expensive fast.

Freddie21

Threads
Disconnect the starter at the solenoid, then the battery from the solenoid, then the blue wire from the solenoid to see if the fuse blows. This this helps then either the solenoid or starter is bad. Check to see if there are wires running behind the starter. These will get smashed easily. If still blows, then you'll have to use the wiring diagram and disconnect things till you find somethin shorted.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you use water to clean your machine after mowing, try using a leaf blower. Test ignition switch & ignition coils with multimeter. You can get lucky by replacing parts all day long vs testing with multimeter to locate the true culprit, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

packardv8

Threads
I have a like-new used starter for the Kohler engine. You can have it for $20 plus shipping.

jack vines

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a like-new used starter for the Kohler engine. You can have it for $20 plus shipping.

jack vines
Thanks. I have sent it to the professionals. I’ve exhausted everything I can do

RaulMcCai

Threads
Where should I go from here ?
Had a similar issue. Turned out a wire passing through a sheet metal housing had rubbed itself bare and was arcing against the metal shorting and blowing fuses.