Toro Timecutter 4225 42 inch

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently had no luck starting my mower by using the key. I jumped the solenoid and by passed it to start the mower for about a month. one day I tried to jump the solenoid again and it didn't turn over. I thought my battery was bad as its about 2 1/2 years old, so I replaced the battery, spark plug, and a bad fuse on my ignition and I got nothing. It does nothing when trying to bypass solenoid with the brand new battery. Any idea what could be the problem?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check 25amp fuse close to Ignition Switch, wiring schematic last page in manual, see Troubleshooting Section.
Inspect ignition switch, seat switch etc. connections for being tight & secure & free of corrosion. Let us know what you find, thanks, Mark
[Uhttps://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+test+ignition+switch+with+multimeter&oq=HOW+TO+TEST+IGNITION+SWITCH+WITH+MULTIMETER&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j0i22i30l6j0i390l2.35978j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8RL unfurl="true"]https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails?id=45160&iid=441626&pid=483358[/URL]

Last edited:

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok so it turns out I’m having some electrical issues. I replaced the 30 amp under ignition. Every time I try and start the mower with the key I blow the 30 amp fuse. Where should I go from here ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What is the five digit model from the serial number tag along with the serial #?

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number - 74721
Serial number - 316009563

Bertrrr

Threads
It's most likely your starter , when you jump the solenoid you are putting 12vt directly to the starter , if it doesn't turn over , it's the starter in nearly all cases

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
What would be causing the fuse to blow every time I try and start the ignition ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely it is the electric brake control module shorted out at the connector. Suppose to be water tight but it is not completely. Remove the harness cable and try.
1678895754490.png
If the controller is bad replace it and the wiring harness. Toro will not warranty the controller; unless, the harness itself is replaced too.

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's most likely your starter , when you jump the solenoid you are putting 12vt directly to the starter , if it doesn't turn over , it's the starter in nearly all cases
How do I check to see if the starter is good or bad ?

kguidry4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok update. I got the motor to start by bypassing the solenoid. It threw a bunch of sparks from around the fly wheel/ motor. Since then I’ve had nothing. When I try and start the mower using the key ignition fuses blow and the starter pops up but doesn’t turn the engine. I tested the starter by using jumper cables on my truck and it pops up and spins , so that tells me the starter is good? I’m at a loss. I detached the park brake module and tried hard wiring it to see if it would start and nothing. I don’t see any visual damaged wiring