Toro MX5060 or ZX4820?

Gustav

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can get the ZX4820 for $500 more than the MX5060. Is it worth the extra $$$?

Last edited:

Brucebotti

Threads
I can get the ZX4820 for $500 more than the MX5060. Is it worth the extra $$$?

I only have experience with the MX5060 which I just purchased six weeks ago. It had everything that I wanted such as a Kawasaki motor, a welded / fabricated deck, and serviceable hydro units (ZT-2800). I looked at the ZX4820, but for me, it didn't add enough to justify the added expense.
Bruce

Gustav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Bruce. That's what I was thinking. I only have somewhere around 3/4 to 1 acre to mow so I think the Titan may be overkill.

Does the MX5060 handle slopes well? My yard is sloped away from my house maybe about 10 degrees or so, sightly more in limited areas.

Brucebotti

Threads
Thanks, Bruce. That's what I was thinking. I only have somewhere around 3/4 to 1 acre to mow so I think the Titan may be overkill.

Does the MX5060 handle slopes well? My yard is sloped away from my house maybe about 10 degrees or so, sightly more in limited areas.

Gustav,
My lawn is relatively flat with a gentle slope. I don't think it would have a problem. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in. As a sidenote, the MX5060 is nearly identical to the ExMark Quest S50, so maybe someone here has one and can help.
Bruce

Brucebotti

Threads

I just saw this review on the Home Depot site and thought it may help answer your slope question:

"I have 5 acres of hilly (10-15 degree slopes) terrain with lots of trees, and this Toro is powerful and maneuverable enough to give me no problems. I've only had this one month, but I'm absolutely happy with this purchase after having used it twice now.
At first, I didn't think the speed control was too big of a deal, but now I'm very glad for it, since most of my 5 acres is a bumpy ride. Being able to select the slower speed greatly helps me protect my mower from me (i.e., going too fast over the numerous "potholes" in my lawn and bouncing too hard).
Love the powerful deck (welded, too!). I had some grass I had totally ignored for about a year, and so it was literally over 3 feet tall. Went over it no problem with this Toro. Branches, small bush weeds, etc., all were chopped up as if they were grass.
Looked at several different zero turn mowers, such as John Deere, Simplicity, Husq, etc. Went with Toro because:
1) Kawasaki engine is top of the class
2) Reliable name brand
3) Welded deck
4) Big rear tires (helps with traction on my hilly terrain)
5) Powerful (again, helps with my hilly terrain)
6) Shipping was super easy (don't need a forklift of chainsaw to haul around and cut open a mammoth crate. Toro delivered to my garage, rode it down, and went over operations and maintenance for me. Couldn't be better!)
7) Numerous Toro service centers around where I live
8) Easy to maintain myself
9) Foot pedal for deck height adjustment
10) Easy to clean (garden hose attachment for deck)
The only thing I wish this mower had was more accessory options, like the roll over bar (Toro said those bars are only on their commercial models). However, not too big of a deal, even on my steep slopes, because the rear tires are huge, and you sit basically right between them, giving you good balance. I just go parallel up and down my hills, and the big tires and powerful motor make the pieces of cake to mow.
Well-designed model gives easy access to battery (just lift up seat), engine, and other components for quick maintenance. Air filter is right in the back, so you don't have to squirm your hand around to replace it (as you do have to in some John Deere models I looked at).
Definitely recommend this mower if you have a large area that's hilly, bumpy, and treed. Well, I guess I recommend it even if you have a small and flat area!"

smow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone have measurements on how far the decks on each of these mowers hang beyond the rear wheel on the left side? I'm hoping to reduce the amount of weed whacking I have to do after mowing.

Brucebotti

Threads
Anyone have measurements on how far the decks on each of these mowers hang beyond the rear wheel on the left side? I'm hoping to reduce the amount of weed whacking I have to do after mowing.

I'll check on the MX5060 tonight. I do know that I can "'kiss" the wall with the deck, without the rear tire hitting. So you should be able to get as close as you dare. I'll take some measurements tonight for you.
Bruce

Gustav

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the MX5060.

Brucebotti

Threads

I checked this morning before work. The deck sticks out abot 2-3 inches beyond the rear wheel. You can see it in the picture here (sorry for the poor quality-it was 4:15AM:smile:). You can get as close to anything as you dare.
Bruce

PS I have a 1 acre lot and I mowed it in .8 hrs - a new record for me.

(Sorry I couldn't figure out how to delete the sideways picture)

Attachments

• Toro MX5060.JPG
    Toro MX5060.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Toro MX5060.JPG
    Toro MX5060.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 13

viking4571

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I have a 2008 ZX4820, and wondered if anyone knew if you could put a newer deck on a unit from this vintage? The mower itself from an engine, hydro's, etc is in good shape, but the deck is pretty rough, and doesn't cut evenly. Was wondering if it would be possible to put a deck from a newer model on this one. If anyone has some tribal knowledge on this, let me know. Thanks.