Toro Engines ? Who is making them ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like they are improving it.. I believe they are 2 bbl carbs.

Talked to head-wrench at Local Dealer today, he said the Toro* engines 'seem' to be doing ok, had a couple with carb leak issues (warranty fixes tho). But he also said many would prefer a Kawasaki or Kohler. Guess it will take some time.

now151

Threads
i wonder if these toro engines are still designed with nylon camshaft gear or if its been changed to steel gear.. that is what bothers me

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i know Loncin uses a steel cam gear in their 210cc engines

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Couple of things you might not know about the Toro engine. First, it has a cast iron cylinder sleeve. Second, they have replace the crank mag bushing with an old fashion bearing. Third, the recoil is fully serviceable. The one thing I don't like about it is how they have designed the carb linkages, seen more like an after thought, and pain to service.
Rivets, I have heard that the Toro consumer products are being made by MTD and the Loncin is actually the MTD engine made in China.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Homer1- Thanks, I'm very satisfied with my 2014 (100 year Toro anniversary) Z running the Kaw engine. I was just curious. Dealer said "Toro makes them". ?

Rivets- Thank You as well. Glad I have what I have now. craftsman went to chinese engines & I hear lots of issues.
Toro makes them is not a total lie. Toro is responsible for parts, service, warranty similar to the MTD Chinese engine is parts, service, warrantied through MTD, and just like the LCT engine on Husqvarna is serviced, warrantied, and parts through Husqvarna.

now151

Threads
i would like to se a video of an over haul or pictures of the oil pan removed. of all the videos on youtube, im surprised to not see one 708cc video. toro is responsible for the air system. these motors are the same as harbor freight 708 predator but with a different air filter system. the vertical shaft models do not have roller bearings on the crank.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll, Loncin is a brand of Longxin Motorcycle Industry Co., Ltd, their small engine division. My understanding is that Toro is purchasing the engines directly from Loncin and Toro is manufacturing the equipment. I have not hears anything about MTD and Toro working together, but now a days anything is possible. Haven’t seen any changes in Toro products to indicate this is happening, but I’ll try to ask our rep, if I remember, the next time I see him. MTD may be also be purchasing Loncin engines, but I haven’t seen any equipment with them on. Any of the Loncin engines I have worked on have steel cams.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rivets It looks like the MTD making Toro may be from 2007 and could of changed since then.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I may be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time. Only thing I’ve seen was when MTD built tractors for Toro, and that only lasted a few years. That’s the reason Toro no longer has tractors, MTD quality was not there to meet their standard. Decks for the Recycler and Super Recycler have changed very little since the late 80’s. Maybe Toro is allowing MTD to use their designs and jigs. I have seen where a couple of DIY guys have put PP trannies and systems on the old three speed cast decks. That being said, you must remember I’m a retired instructor, whose job it was, is to make every kid a Rhodes Scholar, and if I didn’t I was a poor teacher. Most people, particularly parents, feel they are smarter than most of their childs teachers.

now151

Threads
there must be a reason why someone hasn't posted an engine video. maybe because of the six year warranty plus i think they started using these engines in 2015, which is not that old yet. the only info i found was from looking up exmark information and found the specs for adjusting the valves. i was almost afraid to take the valve covers off because of voiding the warranty. theres plenty of info on how to maintain the hydrostats