Toro Engines ? Who is making them ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
See some new Toro Z mowers using a Toro branded engine. Anyone know how is making these for Toro ?

Homer1

Threads
I tried to get this information searching everywhere a few weeks ago, and all I esbatlished is that they are a Chinese model copy of an unknown engine. Read some stuff about some of the carb's on certain Toro equipment with the Toro branded engine having some leaks. Exmark is also using the same engine on some of their stuff, just called Exmark instead of Toro.

If it were me, especially being that they are so new, I'd opt for a proven brand and see how these work out 5 years from now.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Chinese engines which Toro is using are built by the Loncin corporation in Chongqing, China.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Homer1- Thanks, I'm very satisfied with my 2014 (100 year Toro anniversary) Z running the Kaw engine. I was just curious. Dealer said "Toro makes them". :laughing:

Rivets- Thank You as well. Glad I have what I have now. craftsman went to chinese engines & I hear lots of issues.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To be honest with you when Toro first came out with these engines, I would not have given you a plug nickel for them. Lots of issues. To Toro's credit I feel they listened to the techs and made some changes. Now five years later I feel it may be a very good engine. Only time will tell, but the only issues which I have seen are with carbs, and they are not limited to this engine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rivets- I had no idea these engines were around that long, I thought they were new to market. Least I was told that.

possum

Threads
I have a friend that owns the smaller zero turn with a small deck and recycler kit put on it. He has used it or a couple years now on a fairly good sized yard. It runs real good with the Choro engine. The Super Recyclers have the Chinese engines on them as well as of a year or two ago. The snowblowers have had them for several years. They all seem to run good except for the carb problems that seem to be fixed. MTD had the same trouble for a time. They have the same engine on one of their lawn tractors as the Toro zero turn and some lawnmower engines as well. All branded by them of course and they all at least claim to have a large investment in the China factory and have their own engineers looking after their interest over there. Craftsman likes to put their name on their branded snowblowers as well. Their salespeople will tell you the engines are made by Craftsman as well.

Lawn Addict
Threads
possum- That is interesting. I have only heard of bad issues of those engines on craftsman mowers. (Course not many post to say good stuff).

The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. I have a new machine anyhow with a sweet Kaw on back.

Homer1

Threads
I'm glad we've finally got a thread going on the entire internet with info about the Toro made engines. I looked a while to find something and never could. Good question!

I'm sure you will love your mower. Just remember to maintain her, and always check your oil!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Couple of things you might not know about the Toro engine. First, it has a cast iron cylinder sleeve. Second, they have replace the crank mag bushing with an old fashion bearing. Third, the recoil is fully serviceable. The one thing I don't like about it is how they have designed the carb linkages, seen more like an after thought, and pain to service.