toro 6.5hp float stuck leaks all fuel out and died wont start

Justwayne

Threads
  • / toro 6.5hp float stuck leaks all fuel out and died wont start
The 6.5hp toro pushmower recently i had put gas started it after a minute it died and all the gas was running out of it and wouldnt start back up. Think possibly it was from the exhaust area or around the carb area. My guess is the float is stuck. Does something inside go bad that needs fixing or is it simply just stuck? will taping on it with the backside of a screwdriver unstick it as usually a carburetor does on an engine or does the float bowl need to come off? Any help would be great.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to remove the carb, disassemble it, clean and rebuild it with a new float needle and seat.

Justwayne

Threads
You need to remove the carb, disassemble it, clean and rebuild it with a new float needle and seat.
You know where to get a new needle float needle and seat? These floats arent capable of filling up with gas similar to an older bronze holley carb float?

Do you need the model number to figure out which needle and seat is needed?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Model number should be on the shroud. If it is a Briggs engine it may be on the shield over the muffler. If you can find the engine number you can use the Toro model and serial number to find out which engine is used on that model. Any good repair shop should have the needle and seat in stock.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Model number should be on the shroud. If it is a Briggs engine it may be on the shield over the muffler. If you can find the engine number you can use the Toro model and serial number to find out which engine is used on that model. Any good repair shop should have the needle and seat in stock.
Good advice. I just wish members understood that just like automobiles every small engine is different and that is why we must use the equipment and engine info to look up parts and to give advice.

Beside some equipment even have transplanted engines and other mods like my Yard Machines here that came with 16.5hp Briggs and now a 21 hp Briggs. Plus even the deck belt has been changed from a 1/2" to 5/8" belt.

Justwayne

Threads
The needle and seat float assembly is 10$ on ebay and carbs are usually 15$ and come with new primer bulbs generic but they work i purchased one for the murray riding mower.

The model is a toro 6.5hp GTS. Are there different variations or should i get pictures of the mower and carb setup? I think the gaskets may slightly leak as i would always come back and the tank be empty after i had parked it with gas the gas would end up under the carb on the top indented area or residue. Not in the engine oil as i check its always at the same level.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The needle and seat float assembly is 10$ on ebay and carbs are usually 15$ and come with new primer bulbs generic but they work i purchased one for the murray riding mower.

The model is a toro 6.5hp GTS. Are there different variations or should i get pictures of the mower and carb setup? I think the gaskets may slightly leak as i would always come back and the tank be empty after i had parked it with gas the gas would end up under the carb on the top indented area or residue. Not in the engine oil as i check its always at the same level.

You need the model number of the engine, not the model number of the mower. If it is a Briggs and Stratton it will be six digits long.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Toro provided IPLs usually list which engine was used within a particular serial number range. There is a serial tag on the mower that has this info.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You know about carbs, but can’t find numbers? How do you know needle and seats are $10 and carbs are $15 if you don’t know the model number and serial numbers? Second the Toro GTS series mowers came with a Suzuki or Briggs engine, depending on the age. I highly doubt any good carb for these engine can be found for that price. Something is starting to smell like old fish in this thread.

Justwayne

Threads
I had bought a replacement carb for 15$ for the Murray riding mower in 2021 runs good now. The same one that needs a fuel tank the lawnmower shop wants 80$ but with the part number it's cheapest price is 28$ on eBay.

I'm sure can find the correct carb for fairly cheap as well if just need change the float needle and seat. Wanted to change the gaskets as well but probably easier just to just unbolt the bottom bowl see what's going on.
I'll try to look for the mower model number. Thanks guys.