Tips For Using Stick Edgers

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
At a local dealer (they sell Echo, Exmark, Scag, Walker, Cub Cadet, and Snapper).
Now I don't know how much edging you are going to do but my dealer gave me the option of buying my blades in bulk and there cheap, so you may want to check with him cause you can save a ton of money if he will give you a discount for buying bulk.

Threads
Now I don't know how much edging you are going to do but my dealer gave me the option of buying my blades in bulk and there cheap, so you may want to check with him cause you can save a ton of money if he will give you a discount for buying bulk.

I won't be doing that much edging since you can do an edge with an edger and then just maintain it with a weedwacker. With what I just said, how many do you think I should buy?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I won't be doing that much edging since you can do an edge with an edger and then just maintain it with a weedwacker. With what I just said, how many do you think I should buy?

You say you wont be doing much edging because you'll maintain it with your trimmer, that's what everybody says. You'll probably find out like others that edging walkways and drive is a lot better and most of all faster done with the edger and most likely you'll be using it more than you think.
As far as how many blades you should buy and have on hand would depend on how good you are with the machine.
Keep in mind that doing what you're doing you need to save money anyway you can. Normally blades can run anywhere from $3.50 to 7 dollars each and more depending on what you buy. I buy my blades by the case, 50 to a case for $39.95 and they will last me a season, so I guess you can figure the price for each and I buy oil filters the same way. A one time investment saves me a ton not only in the blades but in gas and time savings not having to run to the dealer once a week.

Threads
OK thanks, Ric. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper to buy in bulk! :thumbsup:

Threads
Just for clarification, you CAN use an edger on flower beds, and don't need to get a bed redefiner, correct??
edger.jpg

bed redefiner.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just for clarification, you CAN use an edger on flower beds, and don't need to get a bed redefiner, correct??
View attachment 9992

View attachment 9993

That would depend on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just wanting to trim yes you can use the edger on beds. If you are trying for appearance and a clean look then a bed redefiner is the way to go.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I make beds I just use a flat shovel and use my edger to keep it looking good

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I make beds I just use a flat shovel and use my edger to keep it looking good

A flat shovel :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: That's doing things the hard way but.........

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric said:
A flat shovel :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: That's doing things the hard way but.........

But it is how I have been doing it for 35 years and I enjoy it.
Not sure what you find funny about it.
I enjoy hard work you should try it some time.