Tips For Using Stick Edgers

Threads
I am going to be buying an Echo PE-225 edger (ECHO PE-225 Fuel-Efficient Curved Shaft Lawn Edger - ECHO USA | ECHO USA) in around a month. I wanted some tips from fellow pros on how to edge like a pro. Which side is better to stand on--street or grass when edging along the road? Other tips?
Pictures from Echo website: echo edger.jpg echo edger 2.jpg echo edger 3.jpg echo edger 4.jpg
----------------------
Thanks in advance! :smile:
----------------------

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never saw any one stand in the grass to edge. Except when edging a bed. I am thinking it would not be easy edging from the grass side

And run the edger at top RPMs and walk slow so you don't brown the grass.

I always edge before I mow not sure how others do it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
I always edge before I mow not sure how others do it.

Thanks for the tips!
Also, I remember watching a video--they said EDGE, MOW, TRIM, AND BLOW, but others might do it in a different order.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the tips!
Also, I remember watching a video--they said EDGE, MOW, TRIM, AND BLOW, but others might do it in a different order.

I generally do all my trimming first before I mow because you get to mow up what the trimmer leaves. Myself and most guys I know also edge there drives and sidewalks and curbs after they mow then blow everything off. I find the edges are a lot easier to clear if you do your edging after you mow.

When you get your edger pick up a Gator Blade for it and try it, YOU'LL LIKE IT.

CZLawnCare

Threads
I usually mow,trim,edge then blow as edging after mowing and trimming gives you the most clean and precise edge in my opinion

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Every one has there own way of doing things. Just try it a few different ways and do what works best for you. There is no right or wrong way.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to be buying an Echo PE-225 edger (ECHO PE-225 Fuel-Efficient Curved Shaft Lawn Edger - ECHO USA | ECHO USA) in around a month. I wanted some tips from fellow pros on how to edge like a pro. Which side is better to stand on--street or grass when edging along the road? Other tips?
Pictures from Echo website: View attachment 9923 View attachment 9924 View attachment 9925 View attachment 9926
----------------------
Thanks in advance! :smile:
----------------------

If you're looking for tips a couple of suggestions, when cutting beds always pull the edger backwards don't try and push the thing. Hold the engine up about shoulder high and cut. Second when edging walks and drives a good edger should basically pull itself, the rotation and speed of the blade should allow it to cut and set your pace. Keep the shroud clean and the head greased and I hope you have access to blades because they wont last very long.

Threads
If you're looking for tips a couple of suggestions, when cutting beds always pull the edger backwards don't try and push the thing. Hold the engine up about shoulder high and cut. Second when edging walks and drives a good edger should basically pull itself, the rotation and speed of the blade should allow it to cut and set your pace. Keep the shroud clean and the head greased and I hope you have access to blades because they wont last very long.

OK thanks...your post is very helpful!