The mightiest mower you'll ever see!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just bought this at the tractor show's silent auction for a whopping, bank account shattering $5! This thing is a MONSTER!
  • Feel the rush of power with the 1960's 3.50 HP B&S!!!
  • Make mowing a breeze with the mammouth 21" swath!
  • Simplicity of design with only one fwd gear + reverse!
Dunno quite how I'll hide it, but I'll figure something out for my Genoa Mower! (made in Genoa, Ill.)

Attachments

• DSCF1041.JPG
    DSCF1041.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF1040.JPG
    DSCF1040.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1045.JPG
    DSCF1045.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF1046.JPG
    DSCF1046.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1044.JPG
    DSCF1044.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 33

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anybody with an ars big enuff to fill that seat is gonna need a LOT more than 3.5 hp !!!!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was the novelty of the darned thing.

My next door neighbor had a Rupp, which was really simmilar in design - and HP. You'd be surprised, actually. I used that tiny thing a LOT to mow his yard when I was 16.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for something like this. Lucked out bigtime, as this is a LOT older than that Rupp was.

I bid on the old Craftsman, too (that I posted in the Craftsman forum) - but there were three other guys hovering over it pens in hand ready to outbid me. I gave up at $12 on that one. Sold for $25.

I practically SAT on this thing - and let everyone know, "You're not getting this. If you bid, I will outbid you......:biggrin:" They must've known I meant business - no one but me bid on it, and I just bid the minimum. $5. :laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was the novelty of the darned thing.

My next door neighbor had a Rupp, which was really simmilar in design - and HP. You'd be surprised, actually. I used that tiny thing a LOT to mow his yard when I was 16.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for something like this. Lucked out bigtime, as this is a LOT older than that Rupp was.

I bid on the old Craftsman, too (that I posted in the Craftsman forum) - but there were three other guys hovering over it pens in hand ready to outbid me. I gave up at $12 on that one. Sold for $25.

I practically SAT on this thing - and let everyone know, "You're not getting this. If you bid, I will outbid you......:biggrin:" They must've known I meant business - no one but me bid on it, and I just bid the minimum. $5. :laughing:

I remember Rupp as a snowmobile company, and possibly minibikes, but never mowers.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember Rupp as a snowmobile company, and possibly minibikes, but never mowers.

It was almost like this thing, but it had a larger, lighter tin hood and a steering wheel, rather than a tiller. Still 3.5 horse, and 21".

Rupp only made them for a few years, I do believe. They didn't sell well, as you may have guessed. Not exactly competition for the likes of Wheel Horse and JD. But, they filled a void. They were CHEAP. Once Murray and MTD did their thing, they killed off this kind of mower. Huffy made one of these kinds of mowers, too. Yes, THAT Huffy.

They get away with the low HP by reducing the gearing with pulleys and final drive reduction. They only have one speed, and they are SLOW.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
love it!....how long were you in munchkin land anyways?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wanna paint it? No, on second thought, I may need to SAVE that decal.........:biggrin:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
what kinda tranny does that crazy little thing have?..........by the way..im really envious right now! ... [ i might have to go buy some rusty mower to settle my nerves].... :laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
what kinda tranny does that crazy little thing have?..........by the way..im really envious right now! ... [ i might have to go buy some rusty mower to settle my nerves].... :laughing:

It has a single speed tranny, powered by a pulley under the deck (with a shielding cover over it). three clicks: Forward, Neutral, Reverse. You have to reach behind you to shift. I believe you push the pedals (they are both connected together) DOWN to go, and release the pedals to stop. No brakes. (at least I don't see any - unless it somehow wedges itself against the pulley) Then again, If it's like my neighbor's little mower, it doesn't go fast enough to need brakes.

After a lot of searching, I can find precious little info on it, other than it is a 1969.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it run? If it does you will have to make a mowing video .:biggrin: