The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Feb. 2, 2018 GROUNDHOG DAY

The importance of Groundhog Day is not something that should be taken lightly! It's not like Valentines Day, where if you screw up and forget to buy SWMBO something appropriate, then you're going to end up sleeping on the couch and abusing yourself for the next month or so, but it IS important all the same.

Here's what Wiki has to say about the tradition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

Groundhogs, (or woodchucks as they are called in New England) are fat members of the rodent family and fill in for the badger, which was the original soothsayer of weather for Germans who came up with this hair-brained idea. Badgers aren't common in PA where these Germans settled and I expect they were glad to shift weather prognostication duties to a woodchuck as badgers are renowned for being somewhat less than friendly animals to handle. A groundhog, on the other hand, sleepy from hibernation is far less likely to bite your hand or some other appendage off.

Groundhog Day shares February 2nd with Candlemas Day, a more religious celebration that was often considered to be 'mid-winter'and caused Henry David Thoreau to quip something to the effect of: 'Half a mans wood and half his hay, should still be available on Candlemas Day.' That's not verbatim, but it get's his gist across.

It's also one of my best friend's birthday, so I've got to give him a call later on today.

Let's all hope it's cloudy in Punxsutawney, PA and that Phil cannot see his shadow.. We've all had enough winter to last us for this year!

Roger

Just where the hell do you gather this information, ?? OHhh, you must be attending Bert's seminars !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

ooooooooooohhhhhh I LOVE THE PIC !! .. Nice one !!

View attachment 35640

Boo,

I know that when you first saw that picture you thought it was two boobies pressed together until you enlarged it! You can't fool me!! I know you!!

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Just where the hell do you gather this information, ?? OHhh, you must be attending Bert's seminars !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

No suh, I am just a wealth of useless information!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

I was swappin' sea stories with this old Florida Cracker one day when he started tellin' me about "Telephoning Fish"! Now you know what it's like being a dumb Yankee when yer around Southerners, and you don't want to appear any damn dumber than you already are... but I just had to ask him what-the-hell "Telephoning Fish", meant.

He looked at me with that look that Florida Crackers reserve for dumb Yankees and explained how they would take the hand cranked generator out of an old fashioned phone, (you know the ones where you'd grab the crank handle and give it a couple of quick rotations to call up Marge down at the phone exchange so she could connect you with the party you were trying to call) - well, anyway, it seems one of those generators puts out dang near 100 Volts and if you connect the two wires to steel rods driven into the mud of a pool with fish in it and start cranking, the resulting voltage will stun the fish and then you can net them up when they float to the surface! Of course this is all illegal as hell, but this old boy was a poacher of some renown and this was a method he used for fishing commercially until he got caught. That was how he'd started his story, we were telling about the times we'd been incarcerated for various offenses and he had said, "Yup, I got arrested fer telephoning fish one time.."

So maybe this here Thai fella has moved that method into the 21st century and is using Solar Panels for his source of electricity for fishing... Sneaky bugger, ain't he?

Rog

When I was MUCH younger I heard of "crankin up the fishin hole" later, after some yaa-hoo threw a "cherry-bomb" into the fish-hole which had the same effect on the fish, someone else went to the BIG lake and lobbed in a stick of DYNAMITE ! HOLEY-MOLEY !! all you can eat fish-fry ! course the Constable ain't too happy bout it, said the sound, is nothing like a dinner-bell !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

The importance of Groundhog Day is not something that should be taken lightly! It's not like Valentines Day, where if you screw up and forget to buy SWMBO something appropriate, then you're going to end up sleeping on the couch and abusing yourself for the next month or so, but it IS important all the same.

Here's what Wiki has to say about the tradition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

Groundhogs, (or woodchucks as they are called in New England) are fat members of the rodent family and fill in for the badger, which was the original soothsayer of weather for Germans who came up with this hair-brained idea. Badgers aren't common in PA where these Germans settled and I expect they were glad to shift weather prognostication duties to a woodchuck as badgers are renowned for being somewhat less than friendly animals to handle. A groundhog, on the other hand, sleepy from hibernation is far less likely to bite your hand or some other appendage off.

Groundhog Day shares February 2nd with Candlemas Day, a more religious celebration that was often considered to be 'mid-winter'and caused Henry David Thoreau to quip something to the effect of: 'Half a mans wood and half his hay, should still be available on Candlemas Day.' That's not verbatim, but it get's his gist across.

It's also one of my best friend's birthday, so I've got to give him a call later on today.

Let's all hope it's cloudy in Punxsutawney, PA and that Phil cannot see his shadow.. We've all had enough winter to last us for this year!

Roger

My favorite thing about ground hog day is the sayings for seeing or not seeing shadow.
1. 6 more weeks of winter
2. 6 weeks till spring.

Now I am not the smartest person in the world but COME ON.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

My favorite thing about ground hog day is the sayings for seeing or not seeing shadow.
2. 6 weeks till spring.

Yeah that's all B/S ! easy enough to tell when Spring arrives, The gal's all start wearing their "Hey look at me" revealing clothes" .. :thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

It's just aroun the bend now !! In 15 months ..... WHEW !!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

2. 6 weeks till spring.

poor ground hog cant catch a break, we must keep this knowledge to ourselves or another poor soul will be without a job and soon homeless

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

poor ground hog cant catch a break, we must keep this knowledge to ourselves or another poor soul will be without a job and soon homeless

Or part of a good stew. :laughing::laughing::laughing: Not really kidding. They are good eats.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Boo,

I was swappin' sea stories with this old Florida Cracker one day when he started tellin' me about "Telephoning Fish"! Now you know what it's like being a dumb Yankee when yer around Southerners, and you don't want to appear any damn dumber than you already are... but I just had to ask him what-the-hell "Telephoning Fish", meant.

He looked at me with that look that Florida Crackers reserve for dumb Yankees and explained how they would take the hand cranked generator out of an old fashioned phone, (you know the ones where you'd grab the crank handle and give it a couple of quick rotations to call up Marge down at the phone exchange so she could connect you with the party you were trying to call) - well, anyway, it seems one of those generators puts out dang near 100 Volts and if you connect the two wires to steel rods driven into the mud of a pool with fish in it and start cranking, the resulting voltage will stun the fish and then you can net them up when they float to the surface! Of course this is all illegal as hell, but this old boy was a poacher of some renown and this was a method he used for fishing commercially until he got caught. That was how he'd started his story, we were telling about the times we'd been incarcerated for various offenses and he had said, "Yup, I got arrested fer telephoning fish one time.."

So maybe this here Thai fella has moved that method into the 21st century and is using Solar Panels for his source of electricity for fishing... Sneaky bugger, ain't he?

Rog

OR perhaps as there is not much land around he is drying his net or has it stretched out for repair.