The Daily Yardman Thread

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Sure glad today is Saturday, AGAIN , I used to dread Monday, seems like it always followed a weekend of partying and Hell raising, there were many Mondays with foggy eyes, bleary brain, wobbly legs, and pounding headaches, we called it "having-fun" , so glad I got past all that and skipped maturity, going straight to grumpy ol fart, AHHhh life is good !

View attachment 34987 ...GOOD Morning gang !!

I actually prefer the 5 Saturdays formerly known as Monday-Friday over the actual weekend days (with the
exception of College Football and sometimes NASCAR) cuz the working class is...working, and not cluttering up roads and stores....

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I got ticked off at my "toy" Craftsman chainsaw today and hauled out the new Stihl.
MAN, what a saw............

Just can't get the Craftsman to pull under load. New fuel filter so I don't believe it is starving for fuel;
Screams high-C when revved w/no load, but just won't do it when it counts.
I even bought the special carb adjustment tools to tweak.
I have a new carb and stuff on the way. Maybe that'll do the trick. Dunno.
Guess it'll be relegated to limb and trim duty.

Anyway, the Stihl is one HUNGRY (for wood) saw !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Is it hard to start from cold ?
Loss of power under load and over reving no load = air leak.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I got ticked off at my "toy" Craftsman chainsaw today and hauled out the new Stihl.
MAN, what a saw............

Just can't get the Craftsman to pull under load. New fuel filter so I don't believe it is starving for fuel;
Screams high-C when revved w/no load, but just won't do it when it counts.
I even bought the special carb adjustment tools to tweak.
I have a new carb and stuff on the way. Maybe that'll do the trick. Dunno.
Guess it'll be relegated to limb and trim duty.

Anyway, the Stihl is one HUNGRY (for wood) saw !

When making your description,of these saws, were BOTH saws identical in EVERY way, HP/cc. ratings, old / new,same size bar, chain, drive sprockets, clutch-size, carburetor, etc. etc. , I thought not !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

When making your description,of these saws, were BOTH saws identical in EVERY way, HP/cc. ratings, old / new,same size bar, chain, drive sprockets, clutch-size, carburetor, etc. etc. , I thought not !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

So, Boobie, what is your point??

The Craftsman, when it was running well, was more than adequate.
It now sports a new chain, 16"bar and fuel filter.
The Stihl has an 18" bar, and a larger engine I am sure.

Point was that the C'man won't pull the chain thru the tree trunk because the motor is not running properly under load.
Maybe the muffler is plugged w/carbon. Don't yet know.
I had a tree to cut up, and I used the tool which worked!

Ya probably woulda done the same yerseff................:thumbsup::rolleyes::tongue:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

AHhhh fear not my warrior friend, upon us is the dawning of a new era, where the world of ROBOTICS will assume our daily chores and possibly all we toil over, (better stay out of our bedrooms though ( LOL ) ) AND technology in modern medicine will probably have him and the rest of human life as we know it, far exceed a lifespan of 100 years while maintaining the looks of their youth, what a piss-off for us ol-farts ehhhh !! :laughing:..:laughing: Still, I've had a ball, in MY life experiences, and the beat goes on !!

Yes, we will either be the last generation to die or the first one that can live forever, but would you really want to either ?
As for robots doing all our daily chores, you have watched one too many episodes of The Jetsons.
All of this modern technology does not release us from the burdens of modern life, any more than the fully automatic washing machine or powered lawnmower has liberated the modern household.
Just like captive fishes that will grow to the size limited by the container they are in, people will expand what they do till it exceeds the time available.
So the hours you have saved on the lawn will be eaten up by the beige box in corner of your office.
All that happens is you get further divorced from the reality of life when your are not directly involved in it.
Robots will have an effect, they will displace those who are employed to do menial jobs by the wealthy so they can lives meaning less lives, unemployed in poverty.

Note every one praised factory automation as it will liberate all those people from the drudgry of menial labour, when in reality all they wanted was more profits from reducing labour costs.
Go for a walk around the rust belt and see just how more "meaningful" the lives of the displaced workers are.

Now when AI looks like it will threaten the jobs of the wealthy , doctors / lawers / accountants / judges etc etc suddenly it is a drastic problem that will threaten the very fabric of the society we live in.

Every test they have done with automated medical diagnosis has proven conclusively that the computer was faster & more accurate than a real doctor and further more cost less than 10% of a real doctor.
Down side is it does not make good TV like House or The Good Doctor .
We have been doing a research project down here where a computer is running against all the doctors in a clinic.
The computer would have knocked the patients medical costs down by over 80%.
Firstly it did not ask for unnessary medical tests ( around 75% ) just to cover it's own arse because it had no idea what was wrong with the patient.
Next it prescribed the exact correct dose & length of medication and furthermore, prescribed the correct medication, not what was fashionable or what it got the greatest kick back from.
And of course did not prescribe anti- biotics for viral infections like colds & flu.
It also picked up 100% of the hypocondriacts & prescription shoppers.

Oh and a natural life span for a human is around 55 ( approximately 10 years after reproduction ceases ).
The "natural" lifespan of most animals is just long enough to raise the last of their prodogy to independent living level.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Geez, Bert...I bet your digit flexors are so overdeveloped from typing that you can't even make a fist!

I had typed somewhat of a diatribe on robotics and anti-union posture, but maybe it is wisest to keep politics out of the forum..............:smile::smile::rolleyes:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

So, Boobie, what is your point??

The Craftsman, when it was running well, was more than adequate.
It now sports a new chain, 16"bar and fuel filter.
The Stihl has an 18" bar, and a larger engine I am sure.

Point was that the C'man won't pull the chain thru the tree trunk because the motor is not running properly under load.
Maybe the muffler is plugged w/carbon. Don't yet know.
I had a tree to cut up, and I used the tool which worked!

Ya probably woulda done the same yerseff................:thumbsup::rolleyes::tongue:

Other way round,
When they are choked up the engine runs slow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Geez, Bert...I bet your digit flexors are so overdeveloped from typing that you can't even make a fist!

I had typed somewhat of a diatribe on robotics and anti-union posture, but maybe it is wisest to keep politics out of the forum..............:smile::smile::rolleyes:

Naw if we can't disagree on politics they we would have to fight about religion :mad:

Just something that caught my ear.
They are trialing driverless trucks down here right now so it is topical.
Every report is on how great it will be, how more efficient & how more safe.
When in reality it is all about the monster warehouse & distribution groups sacking people to save money.
Then there is a lot of gum flapping about the ethical dilemma of programming the emergency response.
You know the hypothetical situations that never happen in real life.
Will it run down the 4 elderly people to avoid killing the baby.

Not so much of a sentence about what the 1,750,000 truck drivers might end up doing for a living.
They can't sell drugs cause the bikies have that tied up from manufacture to street distribution.
All of the car companies have closed down and there is a lot going into re-employing the 600,000 car workers.
Not a mention for the 150,000 owner drivers that have been running the just in time system hauling parts from all over the nation.
Each time a plant closes there is a rise in single vehicle truck accidents , those in transport know what is happening but apparently the wage earners can not get their heads around the "worth more to my family dead" mentality of the owner drivers that are in debt way over their heads.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

GOOD man Ron, Controversial is one thing , Political is a NO NO, although at times, this thread has lightly, VERY lightly, swooshed by with it, so far ,so good !!