Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Good Morning Folks

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Waiting for the electrician, or someone like him.......

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rog,
I have done some work with red cypress, but have always just stained/sealed it and applied no finish.
I never experienced any problems in doing that.
That is, as far as I can remember..............

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

side note, your boiler uses circulater pumps for zone valves.........

Doc,

That was a common practice back in the day when this boiler was plumbed. This is a very simple system with only two zones of heat and the domestic hot water storage tank. (Hence the three circ pumps. It does use an Argo controller to operate the pumps, not a bunch of individual relays plastered all over a control board.

My old man was a Master Oil Burnerman as well as a Master Electrician, so years back we used to wire boilers for companies that either didn't have licensed electricians. or any that really knew what they were doing. I had a lot more electronics background than my Dad (because of the Navy), so he'd just tell me what the sequence of operation had to be and then I'd design the circuitry. Eventually controllers like ARGO came out and then anybody could wire up a system that would operate correctly.

I used to do the same thing for a company that resurrected swimming pools. Only in reverse. The pools would be installed with all sorts of electronics that were susceptible to lightning strikes and other power surges and I'd tear all that out and then build a bullet-proof system out of old school relays and that sort of thing. It dramatically improved the reliability of the control system.

Well made relays will last a long time! I once ran into a relay in what was probably one of the first garage door openers ever made (for an estate one of the Rockefellers bought) that was built on a slate base! I have no idea how old it was, but the coil had finally burned out.

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Rog,
I have done some work with red cypress, but have always just stained/sealed it and applied no finish.
I never experienced any problems in doing that.
That is, as far as I can remember..............

Ron,

I never knew there were different cypresses! Mine is very light colored until I applied the urethane, then it turned a nice golden yellow color, which I assume will darken with age. I have also bought rough sawn cypress when in FL. Should I ask for "Red" or what?

My buddy just called from Portsmouth, NH, so he'll be here in around one-and a half hours, so I'm not going to mess with it until after he leaves. Another day drying over the boiler won't hurt it any.

Maybe I can get him to go lobstering with us. He can fill the bait bags!! LOL...

Rog

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ron,

I never knew there were different cypresses! Mine is very light colored until I applied the urethane, then it turned a nice golden yellow color, which I assume will darken with age. I have also bought rough sawn cypress when in FL. Should I ask for "Red" or what?

My buddy just called from Portsmouth, NH, so he'll be here in around one-and a half hours, so I'm not going to mess with it until after he leaves. Another day drying over the boiler won't hurt it any.

Maybe I can get him to go lobstering with us. He can fill the bait bags!! LOL...

Rog

I don't think that red cypress is red in color-it pertains to where it was grown.
I made some sort of comment regarding color to my father once, and he thought I was being a smart a**, and
he informed me of the differences in a rather animated fashion!
But, it didn't stick with me....
There is tidewater cypress and bald cypress and white cypress..... but, from what I am reading, they are all the same tree.......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_distichum
So, everything I ever knew is wrong. (My second Firesign Theater reference of the day!)

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Doc,

That was a common practice back in the day when this boiler was plumbed. This is a very simple system with only two zones of heat and the domestic hot water storage tank. (Hence the three circ pumps. It does use an Argo controller to operate the pumps, not a bunch of individual relays plastered all over a control board.

My old man was a Master Oil Burnerman as well as a Master Electrician, so years back we used to wire boilers for companies that either didn't have licensed electricians. or any that really knew what they were doing. I had a lot more electronics background than my Dad (because of the Navy), so he'd just tell me what the sequence of operation had to be and then I'd design the circuitry. Eventually controllers like ARGO came out and then anybody could wire up a system that would operate correctly.

I used to do the same thing for a company that resurrected swimming pools. Only in reverse. The pools would be installed with all sorts of electronics that were susceptible to lightning strikes and other power surges and I'd tear all that out and then build a bullet-proof system out of old school relays and that sort of thing. It dramatically improved the reliability of the control system.

Well made relays will last a long time! I once ran into a relay in what was probably one of the first garage door openers ever made (for an estate one of the Rockefellers bought) that was built on a slate base! I have no idea how old it was, but the coil had finally burned out.

Roger
I'm a certified System 2000 Boiler Tech/Installer. The setup you have is fine and I'm sure works just fine. Back in the day as installers we would always find ourselves in heated (No Pun Intended) debates over valves or pumps.....keeping in mind the fact that the valves in use during the 70's and 80's were crap, got better in the 90's. Basically, it was like arguing over religion, what it boils (LOL) down too, is what each application requires and the Tech's own experience and choice. The only reason I noticed was because I used to do installations and repair so I am prone to notice the little things.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

2 power company trucks here, goin' to town.
Had to sink the conduit 4' down, and cut a couple pvc pipes in the process.
They're fixin' those (nice guys!) and gettin' ready to pull the new cable.
That part sill be done soon.
Than I have to repair the damage they did to the yard....................

Progress ain't never easy.................

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm a certified System 2000 Boiler Tech/Installer. The setup you have is fine and I'm sure works just fine. Back in the day as installers we would always find ourselves in heated (No Pun Intended) debates over valves or pumps.....keeping in mind the fact that the valves in use during the 70's and 80's were crap, got better in the 90's. Basically, it was like arguing over religion, what it boils (LOL) down too, is what each application requires and the Tech's own experience and choice. The only reason I noticed was because I used to do installations and repair so I am prone to notice the little things.

Geez Doc,

I thought you were the King of Heavy Haulers, not a boiler-system technocrat! You telling me all the Taco valves my buddies were installing back in the day were junk? (I always thought their operating system was weird for the job they had to do, but WTH do I know??)

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

2 power company trucks here, goin' to town.
Had to sink the conduit 4' down, and cut a couple pvc pipes in the process.
They're fixin' those (nice guys!) and gettin' ready to pull the new cable.
That part sill be done soon.
Than I have to repair the damage they did to the yard....................

Progress ain't never easy.................

Ron,

I've been there a million times (only usually on someone else's property) so I can feel your pain buddy. Just hang in there, once they are all gone and you've raked and seeded the effected area, - well in a year or so you'll hardly know they were ever there..

(I was a "good boy" and hired a landscape company to clean up after the power company ruined my customers' lawns.) But then I certainly wasn't the cheapest electrical contractor in town either.. Just the best!! LOL.... And the best don't come cheap!! Right??

Rog