Tecumseh Broke Rod

filmteknik

Forum Newbie
I think it broke initially by the crankshaft then again along its length. Punched a hole in the side of the crankcase. I can get a used rod for just $15. But I'm not sure I'm up to the level of complexity of dismantling an entire engine. I pulled the head and pushed the piston out with a tool using the new hole. What's the likelihood I can push the piston with replaced rod back in and attach it to the crankshaft using the hole which I can enlarge? I would screw some sheet metal over the hole and use red RTV.
 
Most likely not worth the effort.
I've seen quite a few Tecumseh's with broken rods, usually due to being operated with the timing too fast.
Parts and pieces from some models sell good on Flea bay.

Tecumseh's and doing repairs of this nature is in the category of dinosaur's, dinosaurs eggs and hens teeth.

AND I have few Tecumseh's and like them,

.
 
Most likely not worth the effort.
I've seen quite a few Tecumseh's with broken rods, usually due to being operated with the timing too fast.
Parts and pieces from some models sell good on Flea bay.

Tecumseh's and doing repairs of this nature is in the category of dinosaur's, dinosaurs eggs and hens teeth.

AND I have few Tecumseh's and like them,

.
I grew up with a series of Sears mowers with Tecumseh and then two Lawn Boys. I'm old enough to remember the 2 stroke cycle LBs. We never had one but some neighbors did.

I've already replaced it so if I do this repair it will likely just be a backup. But I wonder if I can do it in the way I propose.
 
unless you can find a core engine locally that runs or can be rebuilt, that engine is way more costly to rebuild than buying a new one, unless you are in a state like California where they cannot sell new engines due to state laws. Electric only new under 25 hp.

Specifically by the time you tear it apart, buy specialty tools, find parts new or used and pay shipping on them, it will cost you as much or more than a new engine. Look for someone who has a similar product the engine came from where it is a throw away price due to things like a broken pull rope, bad carb, generic won't start. They you can combine the good parts and have your running engine. To replace a rod and piston the case comes apart and the head comes off. Are you here trolling or are you serious?
 
unless you can find a core engine locally that runs or can be rebuilt, that engine is way more costly to rebuild than buying a new one, unless you are in a state like California where they cannot sell new engines due to state laws. Electric only new under 25 hp.

Specifically by the time you tear it apart, buy specialty tools, find parts new or used and pay shipping on them, it will cost you as much or more than a new engine. Look for someone who has a similar product the engine came from where it is a throw away price due to things like a broken pull rope, bad carb, generic won't start. They you can combine the good parts and have your running engine. To replace a rod and piston the case comes apart and the head comes off. Are you here trolling or are you serious?

Not sure what to tell you since you clearly are not replying to the question I asked.
 
Back
Top