Engine synthetic or not?

A special filter isn't mandatory for switching to synthetic oil, but it would be a good idea to use one if there is one available. I personally haven't seen any filters specifically manufactured for synthetic oil for the small, full-flow systems engines.
 
A special filter isn't mandatory for switching to synthetic oil, but it would be a good idea to use one if there is one available. I personally haven't seen any filters specifically manufactured for synthetic oil for the small, full-flow systems engines.
No but you can buy automotive filters designed for use with synthetic oil that will work.

I have one on my JD now. :thumbsup:
 
No but you can buy automotive filters designed for use with synthetic oil that will work.

I have one on my JD now. :thumbsup:

But do you need one? Seems to me that's an easy sell to people already willing to fork over the bucks for synthetic oil. Would synthetic oil harm an regular filter? I've never seen a warning on any jug that you must use a special filter with it.
 
But do you need one? Seems to me that's an easy sell to people already willing to fork over the bucks for synthetic oil. Would synthetic oil harm an regular filter? I've never seen a warning on any jug that you must use a special filter with it.
No it is not required but like the synthetic oil it is a better product.

You talk about is it necessary think about this if you change oil once a year on your mower and it holds a quart of oil then you will spend a extra couple bucks per year to use synthetic oil.

Skip one beer and you paid for it.

If you use conventional oil the filters with the synthetic materials will filter better than a paper one.

It all boils down to how well you want to care for your engines.
 
No it is not required but like the synthetic oil it is a better product.

You talk about is it necessary think about this if you change oil once a year on your mower and it holds a quart of oil then you will spend a extra couple bucks per year to use synthetic oil.

Skip one beer and you paid for it.

If you use conventional oil the filters with the synthetic materials will filter better than a paper one.

It all boils down to how well you want to care for your engines.

WHAT?!?!? Lets not get carried away now! Skipping beer is for emergencies only. Just skip breakfast, that sounds better. :laughing:
 
Got started on changing oil in another thread and found this one instead of hijacking that one.

With the new Ventrac... the recommended interval is at first 25 hours and after that at every 100 hours. I changed oil the first time at 17.5 hours and just did the 25 hour change. I use the best filter I can find and Amsoil synthetic. I also try to do 50 hours if it recommends 100.

JD just remembered one of the Fram filter (when they were good filters :rolleyes:) commercials "Pay a little now, or a lot later."

 
WOW! That's a super conservative maintenance schedule.:eek: I've been running Amsoil products in all my motorized stuff for 28 years now, and haven't had an oil-related failure, but that sounds like an ad.:biggrin: Anyhow, are you using Amsoil ASE?
I like the idea of skipping a breakfast better than skipping a beer as well..:laughing:
 
I use OE and XL (don't feel the need to have much more extended life) since I change oil so often and do the same with the Subaru and Sport Trac. 3,000 miles is what I aim for on the vehicles (unless it has been more than 6 months without going over 3,000).
 
I will answer the question. I think the use of synthetic is overrated, I use traditional motor oil. i wouldn't compare aircraft engines and high performance muscle car engines to lawnmower engines. Everything those guys have said is accurate, to include questioning whether you are getting what you pay for in full synthetic oil. I noticed Mobil 1 just had a price drop locally, i thought it was due to the price per barrel of crude.

Keep in mind if you use synthetic you are not suppose to go back and you need to allow the engine break in before using it.

It sounds like you are the type who will take car of your mower. Just by asking the question shows you are on the right track.
 
Back
Top