Engine synthetic or not?

Black Bart

Threads
I will answer the question. I think the use of synthetic is overrated, I use traditional motor oil. i wouldn't compare aircraft engines and high performance muscle car engines to lawnmower engines. Everything those guys have said is accurate, to include questioning whether you are getting what you pay for in full synthetic oil. I noticed Mobil 1 just had a price drop locally, i thought it was due to the price per barrel of crude.

Keep in mind if you use synthetic you are not suppose to go back and you need to allow the engine break in before using it.

It sounds like you are the type who will take car of your mower. Just by asking the question shows you are on the right track.

FALSE Nothing but Internet myth that has been around since early eighties

You can switch back anytime.
If you choose to use conventional oil fine but that don't change the fact that air cooled engines run hot and synthetic will lubricate well beyond temperatures that conventional oil will fail.

Like I say if you want to use it fine but let's stick with facts not Internet BS

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can switch back and forth with every other oil change if you wanted... The only difference will be while you have synthetic oil in an air cooled engine... you will have a better chance of having parts lubricated...

Do you need great lubrication? Likely not... I'm sure you have heard of folks that have never changed oil in their engines... They usually last for several seasons...
I use synthetics because I want my engines to last Many decades... and they have.. :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
Black Bart and Kenny V;
I'm with you 100% on this matter. There is and probably always will be a lot of misconception and misinformation on what synthetic oil can and cannot do. What I do know is that what I've used has worked very well for me, and for the absolutely miniscule amounts of oil that all my air-cooled mowers and other small engines take for an oil change, I'm happy with using synthetic. Contrast this to the 10 quarts:eek: and $14.00 filter my car takes for an oil change, and it is all just propwash.:biggrin: I spend more money in my time it takes to change oil in a mower than the money I spend on the oil I put in it.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
for those who doubt synthetics abilities.....then get to researching!....like Black Bart says..........its too cheap not to use!:mur:

ha4145

Threads
Is it a briggs and stratton engine? If so i would recomened used either 10w 40 like the other replys to or the factory recomended fullly synthetic sae-30

tankdriver

Threads
Is it a briggs and stratton engine? If so i would recomened used either 10w 40 like the other replys to or the factory recomended fullly synthetic sae-30

Everybody says 30wt synthetic but Briggs website says 5-30 wt synthetic. Which is correct?

YS_MaintenanceChangeOilWeightChart_v1.ashx

link

How to Change Oil | Riding Mower Engines | How-To Articles | Customer Support | Briggs & Stratton

kermit911

Threads
I think it depends on the season. In the summer use 30W and in the winter use 5w 30, at least that is what my manual says.

tankdriver

Threads
I think it depends on the season. In the summer use 30W and in the winter use 5w 30, at least that is what my manual says.

Look at the chart. that is from Briggs webpage. It does not show a single weight oil for the synthetic only 5-30 weight.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ROTELLA T6 is about as tough as they come....its good for cold and extreme hot.....the factory doesnt try and keep your engine alive forever....just long enough so they're not responsible for it any longer

Giles

Threads
I have done an extensive search for any brand of synthetic oil in a 30W single grade. I have not found one yet?:frown: