There is a ton of information and misinformation on the net about Mobil 1 composition, and it doesn't help that the manufacturer won't discuss their proprietary blend, but they are still a PAO based oil with some Group III mixed in so that their additives will integrate better, and so that the oil can suspend contaminants properly.
Exxon/Mobil learned a hard lesson about the downsides of pure PAO oil with Mobil AV-1, an aviation oil they sold in the 1990s. While pure PAO is as slippery as snot, it's a lousy cleanser in addition to not suspending contaminants well, so after a many ruined aircraft engines and a $12.5 million dollar settlement, Mobil 1 is now a blend of approximately 60-70% PAO with the rest being Group III oil and additives. That ratio changes depending on weight and application formulation.
Very few manufacturers use a straight PAO base anymore for the reasons listed, but also there is the issue of pricing, and mixing PAO with Group III helps them stay competitive as PAO production falters and stumbles from time to time. As an example, Mobil 1 had to throttle sales and distribution drastically in the aftermath of 2008's Hurricane Ike when a major PAO plant in Texas was shut down, exacerbating an already chronically short PAO supply.
I like Mobil 1 pretty well and have used it in everything for ages, including Lycoming aircraft engines in the 1990s. I guess I got lucky on that one because my engines ran so often, so they didn't get the dreaded sludge because the contaminants never had time to drop out of the suspension. Instead they were visibly cleaner with less coking, and showed less measurable wear upon inspections than with dino products. On an airplane that saves an ungodly amount of money.
My mower only has 25 hours on it now, but when it is broken in I'll be using Mobil 1 in it as well because I'd like to get fifteen years out of the thing. That is, unless I can find a same quality synthetic cheaper. I'm not nearly as brand loyal as I am wallet loyal. :biggrin: