Export thread

synthetic oil

J

jimbo64

anyone running syn oil in there riding mowers and how does it work, any advantages----------

M

millers1

Deere dealer recomended 30 weight NON DETERGENT (not syn) for my LT155. It's got a Kohler engine. Syn just seems like overkill to me for a small engine. .02

K

KennyV

Definite heat advantage... air cooled engines tend to get hot, synthetic oil will tolerate overtemping with no damage to the oil. KennyV

CarlGlas

CarlGlas

When I switched to synthetic in my then new 2002 Craftsman DGT 6000 with a 27 hp Kohler V-Twin, I noticed the engine would smoke a little at crank up and when a load was put on it. Not much, just a little blue smoke. When I changed back to conventional oil, the smoke went away. That was 300 hours ago and it's still running like new. I use a Purolator Gold filter and Mobil 1 HD 30.

I

indypower

I started using Synthetic oil at the first oil change. I have been using Synthetic oil in my truck since the first oil change. My 03 Dodge Ram is rated 17mpg highway. I can pull 22mpg highway using Synthectic. I can mow my lawn (2/3 acre) on less than a tank of gas with my Poulan 16.5/42 lawn tractor. And since this tractor is just a splash lube system, the Synthetic offers much better protection when mowing on a hill.

S

Stewby

I use Rotella T Synthetic T6 I started running it in my Kubota and what sold me is how clean it is when you change it. Less thermal breakdown for sure and in a air cooled engine it has to help...

jet62095

jet62095

anyone running syn oil in there riding mowers and how does it work, any advantages----------

I am running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w30 in my Cub Cadet LTX 1040, I am noticing a performance gain and a smoother idle. I'd go for it!

N

noma

Hi A briggs & stration recommended that you use 30 weight oil preferable there oil. That's what i use but i only have 108 hour on this engine so we will see how good the oil is later on.

K

KennyV

I have always used synthetic in air cooled engines... they need all the help they can get.
And I switched from Mobil1 last year to Rotella T Synthetic T6... Great stuff and I use it in all my engines With annual oil changes. ... KennyV

Ric

Ric

I have always used synthetic in air cooled engines... they need all the help they can get.
And I switched from Mobil1 last year to Rotella T Synthetic T6... Great stuff and I use it in all my engines With annual oil changes. ... KennyV

Annual oil changes??

K

KennyV

Annual oil changes??

I change all my engine oils once a year... On my cars, truck, tractors and mowers.
Using a good synthetic I have all the additives to last a year or more but to make it easy they all get changed once a year. :smile:KennyV

Ric

Ric

I change all my engine oils once a year... On my cars, truck, tractors and mowers.
Using a good synthetic I have all the additives to last a year or more but to make it easy they all get changed once a year. :smile:KennyV

Ugh! I used Mobil 1 in all my mowers and I change every 25 hours, oil and filters. I changed to Mobil 5000 10w30 but I still change every 25Hours.:smile:

Pete.S

Pete.S

I checked out our local supply of Shell Rotella T6 and all I can find is 10w 40. The Kohler book is kinda specific on using a 30 weight oil. In your opinion will the 40 weight Rotella make a difference?

K

KennyV

I have one Kohler engine and friends with several... we all run Rotella T6, and have for some time... It is in all my diesel engines and my gasoline cars... yes in my opinion Rotella T6 will make a difference a positive difference... :smile:KennyV

Rotella T6 is 5w-40 not 10w-40...

S

sss

i use full synthetic sae-30 on my biggs and stratton engine (recomended) and that works a treat far smoother running than i got from non synthetic this needs to be changed once a year:smile:

B

benski

I've had great luck using Amsoil synthetic in all of my 4 stroke lawn care rolling stock, specifically their product code ASE, which stands for Amsoil Small Engine. Once a year oil changes work for me as well, typically at the end of the season. If I run a mower for an hour a week, it is still less than 53 hours of run time annually. That's still conservative in my book. I do check the oil level before every use, that's cheap insurance.:biggrin:

Pete.S

Pete.S

I have one Kohler engine and friends with several... we all run Rotella T6, and have for some time... It is in all my diesel engines and my gasoline cars... yes in my opinion Rotella T6 will make a difference a positive difference... :smile:KennyV

Rotella T6 is 5w-40 not 10w-40...
Thanx Kenny, I will follow your lead. I'll head to Wally World and buy the 5 quart jug.

K

KennyV

...I'll head to Wally World and buy the 5 quart jug.

That is the place to get it ... BUT it's a 4 quart... not 5 Quart. Bright blue jug, cant miss it... You will like this oil... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

B

Black Bart

That is the place to get it ... BUT it's a 4 quart... not 5 Quart. Bright blue jug, cant miss it... You will like this oil... :smile:KennyV

Rotella is not good before retiring I was in the trucking business and I used it in my fleet.
I could only get a little over a million miles out of an engine before rebuilding it. :laughing:

J

jakesmurray

I use Wal-Mart brand Super Tech 10w-30 Full Synthetic oil in both my mowers, and I have never had problems.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Use Ams oil in everything but my push mowers and them I use SAE 30. No oil problims yet. You will find the person that doesn't check or change their oil will have all the problims.

B

Black Bart

I use Wal-Mart brand Super Tech 10w-30 Full Synthetic oil in both my mowers, and I have never had problems.

Super Tech is made by Warren Industries and it has a little weaker add pack than some but if you change at reasonable intervals you will be fine.

It is much better for your engine than using a conventional 30 weight oil.

E

earthworm

I use Rotella T Synthetic T6 I started running it in my Kubota and what sold me is how clean it is when you change it. Less thermal breakdown for sure and in a air cooled engine it has to help...

But the oil should not appear "clean" at the OC(oil change)...
BTW, I use synthetics in most of my engines/motors...
Overkill?
Perhaps....we may never know.

E

earthworm

Use Ams oil in everything but my push mowers and them I use SAE 30. No oil problims yet. You will find the person that doesn't check or change their oil will have all the problims.

No truer words....and I am playing Russian Roulette...its OC time !
Also note the correct weight. Men do mess up in this area.