Engine Synthetic Oil Use

Lawn Addict
Threads
Modern trucks that have the "Oil Life Monitor" on them, truth is: the engines can't tell if you run dino or syn, the monitor is calculated by run cycles. Most modern dino oils are very capable of going 5K or once a year.

The every 3K oil change was what was done in old days. Oils have improved greatly..

My truck has the OLM also, & I use M1 5w-30 (full syn) in it. Why ? Because that is what the book calls for it to run..

Exracer

Threads
Modern trucks that have the "Oil Life Monitor" on them, truth is: the engines can't tell if you run dino or syn, the monitor is calculated by run cycles. Most modern dino oils are very capable of going 5K or once a year.

The every 3K oil change was what was done in old days. Oils have improved greatly..

My truck has the OLM also, & I use M1 5w-30 (full syn) in it. Why ? Because that is what the book calls for it to run..

I could not agree with you more and I have been using M 1 since 1996 and using it in gas powered golf carts I have noticed the oil stays cleaner longer and they use screen type oil filters. Last month the golf pro ask me to change the oil in his Toyota 4 Runner and it tells you to use M 1 0W20 and change it once a year. The oil filter is the cartridge style like in the 50's and is made to be part of the engine block (Toyota's going green idea) and you have to remove 15 screws to remove a panel to get to it.

My question is what do you fellas do with the used oil filter after a change? Do you toss it in the garbage can or do you have a recyclers pick it up?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Modern trucks that have the "Oil Life Monitor" on them, truth is: the engines can't tell if you run dino or syn, the monitor is calculated by run cycles. Most modern dino oils are very capable of going 5K or once a year. The every 3K oil change was what was done in old days. Oils have improved greatly.. My truck has the OLM also, & I use M1 5w-30 (full syn) in it. Why ? Because that is what the book calls for it to run.. I could not agree with you more and I have been using M 1 since 1996 and using it in gas powered golf carts I have noticed the oil stays cleaner longer and they use screen type oil filters. Last month the golf pro ask me to change the oil in his Toyota 4 Runner and it tells you to use M 1 0W20 and change it once a year. The oil filter is the cartridge style like in the 50's and is made to be part of the engine block (Toyota's going green idea) and you have to remove 15 screws to remove a panel to get to it. My question is what do you fellas do with the used oil filter after a change? Do you toss it in the garbage can or do you have a recyclers pick it up?

My used oil and filters go to auto zone.

I cut my filters open and look for shavings.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My used oil and filters go to auto zone.

I cut my filters open and look for shavings.

And mine go to Advance Auto. (FREE Drop off)..

My truck takes a cartridge with easy access, but my cycles & mower take oil 'spin on' cans. They all go to Adv also, after I cut em open & inspect as well. ..

de dee

Threads
I don't see where you get superior from. I was just looking at the Operators Manual for the ZTR that I have and it doesn't say anything about using synthetic oil in my FX, FS or FJ Kawasaki engines. People say you can run synthetic longer without changing oil like 100hrs is what people say. My manual says the service interval after the first eight hours to change the oil every 100hrs using the recommended conventional oil, change more often in dirty or dusty conditions which is what a mower runs in 99.9% of the time. If you have an engine that call for synthetic like the Corvette I had or my wifes Mini does fine use the synthetic other wise use what you want.

down south use any oil you want, when it gos down to 30 below zero, try and start your tractor and snow blower, I run about 100 hours all winter all temp.s down to 40 below, full syn. oil only!!!

gfp55

Threads
down south use any oil you want, when it gos down to 30 below zero, try and start your tractor and snow blower, I run about 100 hours all winter all temp.s down to 40 below, full syn. oil only!!!

People can use whatever oil they want, but they should not cry when they have break downs and high down times because they use a lesser oil. I agree with you de dee, but some folks live in the dark ages and don't know about using machines in the cold weather but give bad advice about oil that they have not used in all weather conditions. All anyone has to do is read and learn and have an open mind to see the advantages of synthetic oils for trans, engine, gear, etc. People didn't trust some of new things when car companies started put ABS brakes, computer, heads up display, radial tires, used aluminum suspension components, etc. on cars & trucks. Now lots of those things are standard equipment on new vehicles today. http://www.bimmershops.com/oil-for-bmw http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a2316/4232672/

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
People can use whatever oil they want, but they should not cry when they have break downs and high down times because they use a lesser oil. I agree with you de dee, but some folks live in the dark ages and don't know about using machines in the cold weather but give bad advice about oil that they have not used in all weather conditions. All anyone has to do is read and learn and have an open mind to see the advantages of synthetic oils for trans, engine, gear, etc. People didn't trust some of new things when car companies started put ABS brakes, computer, heads up display, radial tires, used aluminum suspension components, etc. on cars & trucks. Now lots of those things are standard equipment on new vehicles today. http://www.bimmershops.com/oil-for-bmw http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a2316/4232672/

It's not a case of living in the dark ages or a case of using machines in cold weather. You use the link for BMW and it's a perfect example of what is said to be used for oil in there vehicle and that's what I guess they will put in mine when I take it to there dealership because that's what is recommended by BMW to run at the dealership and in my manual. I do nothing different for My truck, in fact I can't even tell you what is in my truck or what it uses for oil and I could care less because ford does the changes and inspections on the truck and it doesn't cost me a dime. As for my mowers I do the same I run what the manual and manufacturer tells me to run for the conditions I'm in and no place in any of my manuals does it say anything about running synthetic oil.

gfp55

Threads
It's not a case of living in the dark ages or a case of using machines in cold weather. You use the link for BMW and it's a perfect example of what is said to be used for oil in there vehicle and that's what I guess they will put in mine when I take it to there dealership because that's what is recommended by BMW to run at the dealership and in my manual. I do nothing different for My truck, in fact I can't even tell you what is in my truck or what it uses for oil and I could care less because ford does the changes and inspections on the truck and it doesn't cost me a dime. As for my mowers I do the same I run what the manual and manufacturer tells me to run for the conditions I'm in and no place in any of my manuals does it say anything about running synthetic oil.

For some reason I'm not surprised at your reply Ric

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What kind of air does everyone put in their tires?