Engine Synthetic Oil Use

oldyellr

Threads
I believe within five years early every new car engine will need to have full synthetic oil because of high specific output combined with longer oil change intervals that customers are demanding.
That's entirely possible with the government pressure for smaller, more fuel efficient engines which end up being more complex and highly stressed. What you'll save on fuel, you'll pay for oil. :mad: No doubt that trend will trickle down to lawnmower engines.

gfp55

Threads
Yes, 0W30 synthetic will crank easier at at low temperatures than, say, 10W30 dino oil. I don't think 0W dino oil is made. But my grass stops growing when it gets that cold.
I use most of my machines year round. Most of my machines are not one trick pony's.

gfp55

Threads
Engine design and manufacture is very important. I have a 22-year-old Volvo with over 500,000 klicks on it that uses negligible oil between oil changes. how many other cars with half the mileage are still on the road. How many mowers that old are still running?
I have a 1991 MTD B&S garden tractor, Two 1986 kohlers, 1973 Onan.

gfp55

Threads
That's entirely possible with the government pressure for smaller, more fuel efficient engines which end up being more complex and highly stressed. What you'll save on fuel, you'll pay for oil. :mad: No doubt that trend will trickle down to lawnmower engines.
Where do you come up with this stuff, its no wonder you say and believe that crap. OK OK you are right about everything I'm sorry I questioned your. Keep your head in the sand.

oldyellr

Threads
Where do you come up with this stuff, its no wonder you say and believe that crap. OK OK you are right about everything I'm sorry I questioned your. Keep your head in the sand.
You probably never bought cars before they had seat belts, air bags and catalytic converters and cost under $3000. Gas cost 20 cents a gallon and oil 40 cents a quart. Live and learn.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You probably never bought cars before they had seat belts, air bags and catalytic converters and cost under $3000. Gas cost 20 cents a gallon and oil 40 cents a quart. Live and learn.

I will stay out of the oil debate because no one agrees on oil. (Amsoil all the way) John Deere 68 now that is a good old timer, getting hard to find parts for them anymore

oldyellr

Threads
I will stay out of the oil debate because no one agrees on oil. (Amsoil all the way) John Deere 68 now that is a good old timer, getting hard to find parts for them anymore
Who needs parts when you have a welder? :laughing: And, yes, the JD gets hard to pull over when I need it to mulch the leaves at the end of the season since I use whatever cheap oil I have. But I do put synthetic in my Camaro and used Castrol 'R' in my race bikes back in the day.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Who needs parts when you have a welder? :laughing: And, yes, the JD gets hard to pull over when I need it to mulch the leaves at the end of the season since I use whatever cheap oil I have. But I do put synthetic in my Camaro and used Castrol 'R' in my race bikes back in the day.

Very hard to weld a bad bearing, seal or gasket. 100% synthetic Amsoil in everything but my camp mowers. That is a model 68 JD and a old Toro push mower and they get wally world oil. My bike is just a girls HD sportster but it still gets Amsoil. As far as speed go's it can hold its own on the open road but its far from a race bike.

Exracer

Threads
The important thing about synthetic oil I don't hear anyone mentioning is the fact that typical lawnmowers are air cooled, if you use your mower in extreme conditions especially very hot weather or very heavy loads very tall grass or both the synthetic oil will make a very big difference in the service life you get from your engine.If you are a homeowner just mowing your lawn and you're done in 20 minutes to an hour you probably will not see these benefits as being worth it . I have worked 25 years at a golf course as a superintendent and mechanic,for the equipment we run daily,they work hard,and no breaks,this is equipment that is not that cheap and even the cheaper things like golf carts and small mowers the synthetic oil more than pays for itself in service life and protection from over heating.As for synthetic oil being so expensive yes it is expensive ordinarily,but my local Napa dealer has a sale every May and last year I was able to buy about 10 cases of full synthetic Napa oil for 3.49 a quart,The year before it was 329 year before that it was 299 you just need to keep your eyes open and buy stuff when it's on sale,I stock up and buy a seasons worth of oil or more. I have to change the oil on 35 golf carts,several vehicles,and over two dozen piece of equipment some of which holds several gallons of oil so getting the stuff on sale for us being a small business is very important.The main oil I use is Schaeffers X 7000 in 15w40,it comes in 6 gallon jugs per case. It costs me about 120 a case,and with my five hundred dollar order I get three oil samples and free shipping. I usually use the Napa 10w30 synthetic in the golf carts,and small air cooled engines that are not very expensive.in my larger diesels and liquid cooled gassers I use Schaeffers for the most part.If you have a turbocharger on your diesel tractor or mower,both which I have,synthetic oil protects the turbo against idiot operators who shut down a hot engine before idling it a minute. People don't believe me when I tell him I can get 4 to 5000 hours out of the kohler command 25,but I do and it's because of the oil and because I keep things clean like the air fins,shrouds,and air filter.The last Kohler I had to rebuild was using about 6 to 8 ounces of oil every week if I didn't care I probably could've ran the engine another couple years like that,when I tore it down I discovered the reason it was consuming oil is because it had been so hot so many times,just from running 8hrs a day on 95 degree plus days over the last 13 yrs,that the tension in the rings was gone,the ring gap was fine,the cylinder walls were out only .004 ,for that many hours it was amazing.I did bore to +.025,and new gaskets,intake valve seals,and grind the valves,and that's it,I've put another trouble free 300 hrs on it,and The beauty of running synthetic oil is you can run it for the full recommended interval and not cut your interval and a half for extreme conditions like a high temperature.In my opinion anyone running a liquid cooled diesel or gas engine,you run it hard,and your weather is extremely hot or cold and plans on keeping it for more than five years,it's well worth synthetic oil.For anyone running an air cooled engine twin cylinder,these engines are between 1200 and $3000 now,and most only hold 2 to 3 quarts of oil and all of them have a 100 Hr oil change interval or longer ,exc vanguards which is 50,for the small money difference I think it's worth the money if you plan on keeping it awhile. That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it 

I agree with you 100% and I also work at a golf course as head equipment tech for the past 13 years and the car business the previous 27 years. I"m sold on Mobil 1 and have used it since the 90's.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Full Synthetic M-1 in my Evo FatBoy, but my old Harley Flathead prefers 60w dino earl.. :thumbsup: