Super Bronco 42" Blades Engaged

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually the model number off the serial number tag would help too.

RooWalk

Threads
[Q
We need serial number off mower and also,on engine, but I bet it's the Same as my 42 inch bronco it uses 954-040608, don't just go by that number we need the info from your mower.
Sure :)
You have me at a disadvantage ...the mower lives at my place - 18 miles from where I am staying. We were flooded last year and I am just now getting recovered ... whew!! I travel there every day to work and mow and fix.

The model is 6605
The number above the bar code, below the model is13AX60TG766
And the serial number is listed as 1E116H10398
It is a Kohler engine ....

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Okay, the correct belt part number is MTD 954-04045 and it's a 1/2"x109" belt , https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt-754-04045/
diagram---
diagram.gif
It sounds like star tech may be on to something if the pulleys are binding. Then again someone else said they had trouble with the aftermarket brand belts too... if the MTD is too expensive, get a Stens or Rotary belt. they're also good quality

RooWalk

Threads
Okay, the correct belt part number is MTD 954-04045 and it's a 1/2"x109" belt , https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt-754-04045/
diagram---
sounds like star tech may be on to something if the pulleys are binding. Then again someone else said they had trouble with the aftermarket brand belts too... if the MTD is too expensive, get a Stens or Rotary belt. they're also good quality
Thank you!!
I played with the deck today and low, it belt is slack, but it tightens as you lift.
I keep reading that this mower HATES anything but an MTD, so that is what it will get. I need the machinery to work. Having the mower AND the tractor down at the same time is difficult.
Off to shop... again! Give Lowe's a piece of my mind ... again!! And drop the deck ... again!!! Urrrgh

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IN the posted Item 48 will rust in place (seize) in item 57. Also item 37 can rust in place on item 2. I am leaning toward 48 and 57 as they don't move as mush as 37 and 2 though the later to wear a lot.

RooWalk

Threads
IN the posted Item 48 will rust in place (seize) in item 57. Also item 37 can rust in place on item 2. I am leaning toward 48 and 57 as they don't move as mush as 37 and 2 though the later to wear a lot.
With the belt off, I played with and sprayed all the pulleys/spindles with silicone spray. They all rotate free and easy
This mower was purchased used (older couple; he wasn't allowed to mow any more) and the only issues I've had are the frikking belts and the gas cap falling apart. We have an oil leak, but that will be fixed after the season is done and I'm ready for storage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
With the belt off, I played with and sprayed all the pulleys/spindles with silicone spray. They all rotate free and easy
This mower was purchased used (older couple; he wasn't allowed to mow any more) and the only issues I've had are the frikking belts and the gas cap falling apart. We have an oil leak, but that will be fixed after the season is done and I'm ready for storage.
Kohler courage? leak from the valve cover, i assume?

gainestruk

Threads
If it's loose after putting 954-04045 belt on check idler pulleys mine is famous for bending idler up and making it loose, look at all pulleys and make sure they are all even and spin all pulleys the make sure no rumbling sound, next would be check cable that runs from fender to tighten belt, make sure nothing broken or loose.

RooWalk

Threads
Gotcha.Had a problem with a replaced pulley that lost its bolts ... not tightened properly by a repair shop out of business. Neighbor fixed that for me, but it made the belt very unhappy, and the rose branches did it in.
... online searching with the part number you gave keeps bringing up the deck drive belt that is 96"
Google and I are gonna have words next!!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Gotcha.Had a problem with a replaced pulley that lost its bolts ... not tightened properly by a repair shop out of business. Neighbor fixed that for me, but it made the belt very unhappy, and the rose branches did it in.
... online searching with the part number you gave keeps bringing up the deck drive belt that is 96"
Google and I are gonna have words next!!
parts tree and MTD list it at 109" so Google is wrong , not surprised.
If you order from parts tree it would probably make it to you in less than 4 days, as they're located in Austin,tx