Super Bronco 42" Blades Engaged

RooWalk

Threads
I have a 2006 Super Bronco.
I burned up the belt (mowing over rose bush trimmings) and played a merry chase getting a replacement.
It came from Lowe's, not MTD - but correct dimensions
Girl Mechanic got the belt on, deck mounted, ready to mow. RIght? WRONG
At the lowest deck position, the blades are still. Raise it up (PTO in OFF) and the blades spin
Belt is routed correctly ... and I am chasing an actual MTD belt, but it is a maddening search.
What am I looking to fix now???
Thanks !!!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Get the model number from underneath the seat....there is tag there with the number, then you can find the correct belt.
another thing, do you push a button to engage the PTO or do you push a lever?

RooWalk

Threads
Even with the picture on my phone of the model and serial #'s and the old belt in hand ... I was sold the wrong belt three times ... and finding the right one in stock in Rural OK is ... interesting & a lot of driving.
I use a lever on the left side of the steering wheel.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What part number belt are you buying?
What's the model number of the mower?
We need this to properly help you.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Even though it may be routed correctly, is it in all of the belt guides properly?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have a 2006 Super Bronco.
I burned up the belt (mowing over rose bush trimmings) and played a merry chase getting a replacement.
It came from Lowe's, not MTD - but correct dimensions
Girl Mechanic got the belt on, deck mounted, ready to mow. RIght? WRONG
At the lowest deck position, the blades are still. Raise it up (PTO in OFF) and the blades spin
Belt is routed correctly ... and I am chasing an actual MTD belt, but it is a maddening search.
What am I looking to fix now???
Thanks !!!
Did you actually measure the belt and compare it to the MTD specs. There are problems with aftermarket belt not being the length stated on the packages.

As being from Lowes is it the Sunbelt version of the 954-04045. If so many of the Sunbelts 1/2 belt are nearly an inch shorter then stated or at least for the last two years the ones I received from have been. I threw away nearly $1000 in belts I got from them. BTW A&I belts are the same way. I already got burn on two of them this year so quit completely buying any of them.

Last edited:

RooWalk

Threads
Lowe's sold me a 109" Sunbelt (for a 46" deck ... mine is 42") ... which I questioned, but the mower came from them originally
The Super Bronco is a model 6605 (60TG in many of the searches)
Yes. It is routed and in all the proper guides. That much I can do correctly :)

RooWalk

Threads
It is exactly the length of the belt I took into the store, and fell on just like the MTD

The first belt they sold me was a deck drive belt for a 42" deck at 99.7" ... useless for the deck. and the second was for a 42" deck,but only 96.5 inches

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is one of the harder decks to get things works right especially with the double pivoting idlers. Either one binding can cause problems. For me it is one that I must put my hands to straighten out.

gainestruk

Threads
We need serial number off mower and also,on engine, but I bet it's the Same as my 42 inch bronco it uses 954-040608, don't just go by that number we need the info from your mower.