Straightening crank shaft on push mower

No, you just bolt the whole engine on the straightener, take the plug out, and wire the blade brake so you can rotate the crank, takes about 5 minutes to straighten it.

Check around some of your older mower shops, They likely have one up in the attic under a pile of dust, they might sell it to you real cheap.
 
Fish, put this on youtube. I would like to see it. By the way do you and reynoldson just straighten til smooth feeling , or actually take a dial indicator reading? If not true seems like journals and bearings are short lived? This is backyard mechanics at its finest (sincere comment).:thumbsup:


But what is an otherwise "good" Honda lawnmower worth?
 
Yeah, we'll keep this one open...I gave up trying to fix pushmowers a long time ago..... Absolutely no money in it!!!!!!

But I will keep my eye open for a project for the "straightener"....
 
once steel is bent it changes properties (becomes weaker),after its straightened it needs magnafluxed in turn if any cracks show up,you just waisted money and time.
i forgot to mention at 2800 to 3200 rpm it decides to break it could be dangerous,so yall do what you want,
 
Fish, put this on youtube. I would like to see it. By the way do you and reynoldson just straighten til smooth feeling , or actually take a dial indicator reading? If not true seems like journals and bearings are short lived? This is backyard mechanics at its finest (sincere comment).:thumbsup:


But what is an otherwise "good" Honda lawnmower worth?

Lets be practical here. If it was a customer coming to me for this job it would be new crank or nothing. We have a 12 year old boy wanting to get a mower from a junk yard. Any salvage yard I ever has dealings with know the value of what they have. They sell parts not used mowers. If this junk yard even would sell this mower they are going to get its moneys worth. Now on top of this cost to fix it right the crank needs to come out. Now we have the cost of new gaskets, seals and what other unknown parts. Then the cost of the crank shaft as to what ever that needs. I don't know this boy or his parents. Will he will have any help with this. I would say its over his head for proper repairs. Yes what is a Honda or any mower worth and what can you buy a good working mower for. I know when I was 12 years old my father would of put a big NO on this. This mower is in the salvage yard for a reason its a parts mower only. Ok if this is a learning thing take a good mower apart and put it back together.
 
Fish, put this on youtube. I would like to see it. By the way do you and reynoldson just straighten til smooth feeling , or actually take a dial indicator reading? If not true seems like journals and bearings are short lived? This is backyard mechanics at its finest (sincere comment).:thumbsup:


But what is an otherwise "good" Honda lawnmower worth?

Look at the second pic closer, you can see the "dial indicator" on the straightener, it rides on the protective sleeve
over the crank tip.

Now if the bent is up in the bearing area, this won't work, otherwise it works great.
 
Look at the second pic closer, you can see the "dial indicator" on the straightener, it rides on the protective sleeve
over the crank tip.

Now if the bent is up in the bearing area, this won't work, otherwise it works great.



briggs crankshaft straightener - Bing Videos

This is somewhat similar, but this guy doesn't support the bottom of the crank with an equalizer bolt like mine
and would probably
do damage in the crank/bearing area and be likely to leak if not crack.
 
I have a good Honda 5.5Hp walk behind mower engine with a Blade brake clutch. (BBC) When I had it running I had to beg somebody to take it!! They ran garbage gas in it. It didn't run anymore after 2 months. I installed a good used thoroughly cleaned carb. It ran great. They ran garbage gas through it again!! Now I have it back and am tired of looking at it. Some people like Honda mowers, some people don't. Iam not trying to start an engine feud here. Just stating my opinion.
For the orig. poster. I would find a non running complete Honda with no crank/block damage. You would be time and money ahead going that route.
If all you want/need is a good mower there's a ton out there that don't need crank work, resealed before you hear that the engine has a knock cause it ran low on oil.
 
Lets be practical here. If it was a customer coming to me for this job it would be new crank or nothing. We have a 12 year old boy wanting to get a mower from a junk yard. Any salvage yard I ever has dealings with know the value of what they have. They sell parts not used mowers. If this junk yard even would sell this mower they are going to get its moneys worth. Now on top of this cost to fix it right the crank needs to come out. Now we have the cost of new gaskets, seals and what other unknown parts. Then the cost of the crank shaft as to what ever that needs. I don't know this boy or his parents. Will he will have any help with this. I would say its over his head for proper repairs. Yes what is a Honda or any mower worth and what can you buy a good working mower for. I know when I was 12 years old my father would of put a big NO on this. This mower is in the salvage yard for a reason its a parts mower only. Ok if this is a learning thing take a good mower apart and put it back together.

It's not worth it anyway and I have changed a crankshaft on a push mower before I got a used one on eBay cheap and changed it with no help still use the mower to this day
 
Back
Top