Sthm finally **** the bed

Morson82

Threads
Changed the fuel filter nd fuses today and she started up no problem, also new battery. As she was warming up I heard something grinding from under the shroud. It stopped making the noise relatively quick and I figured a stone had some how worked its way into it. I stared mowing the front lawn and got about 1/2 a loop and the engine died. I checked and a fuse had blown. This was weird, as I have owned this machine about 15 years and never blew a fuse. So, I got another fuse and when I plugged te new one in I heard the other fuse blow. Talk about loosing ur mind. I fiddled with thing for about an hour and then decided to drag/pull/push her into the garage. I started taking the shroud off and I noticed hundreds of pieces of what appeared to be metal fragments everywhere.. After getting down to the coils, I saw that the metal was actually pieces of magnet. I took the flywheel off and found that all of the magnets under the flywheel had come loose and smashed into hundreds do pieces and also shredded the stator as well! Going to need a new flywheel and stator.... Looking at around 300.00+. Anyone out there that lives near Colchester, CT and has a junk Kohler cv22 let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 24

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would make sure that the top bearing in the engine was still OK.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you look at the second picture of the keyway on the flywheel, there is evidence that the key may have been wobbling. which means loose flywheel. the flywheel wobbles, and one of the magnets hit the stator, and when one comes loose it is a domino effect.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
any good mower salvage yards in your area. Used parts can be found but you will need to look for them. The salvage yards around here charge 1/2 the price of new.

Steve0853

Threads
Dumb question: What the heck is a Sthm???

Edited to add: Never mind........Google is your friend.