Starting issue

CLStout

Threads
This is a B&S 20hp v-twin engine on an Ariens model 936042 riding mower. If the mower sits for a week or so without running, it takes several seconds to get it started. I don't want to seem paranoid, and if this is normal then I apologize now. It runs very well after it starts, and when it's warmed up, it starts right away.

Do I have a problem, or am I a hypochondriac?

TIA👍

bullet bob

Threads
I'm sure not one of them smarter guys here on the board but it sounds to me like everything points to your battery, although you don't mention how old it is. If it were me, I'd either put a battery booster on it, or jump it with another 12V battery and see if there's any difference. If it cranks better and starts better....time for a new battery. And quite honestly, "If the mower sits for a week or so without running, it takes several seconds to get it started" that doesn't sound abnormal.

CLStout

Threads
Thank you, sir for your response. The battery is not quite a year old, and it spins the engine over just fine. It seems more like the carb is empty. I don't have a fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line. Been meaning to get one, just haven't got around to it yet.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the choke is working.

Also if you are an E-10 lover, I would drain the carb bowl and tank.

CLStout

Threads
Thanks. Yeah, the choke is working. I have checked that.

Well, I don't exactly "love" E10, but ethanol free gas is not easy to find around here. I've looked, and I did locate some at a station that is about a 45 minute drive from me. Here it's about a dollar more a gallon. According to the manual for the tractor, it's designed to run on E10. Is that a problem with the mower?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that a problem with the mower?
E-10 if left inside the carb say over winter will eat the aluminum body up. Longer it sits with water the worse this all is. E-10 is a nightmare on carbs. And a lot of carbs now are no longer made.

Best to use 100% gas if at all possible. Start hoarding today.... LOL

CLStout

Threads
Well thank you, sir. I will do that. I see there are additives on the market that claim to "treat" ethanol. Are these just snake oil?

Forest#2

Threads
Post up the model number, type, code on the twin.

The reason for the engine info is we are talking about the engine instead of the tractor model number and with correct engine info we can then determine which of the Briggs twins you are referencing.

CLStout

Threads
Model number 406777, type 0442 B1. Intek OHV 20hp.

Forest#2

Threads
When a lawn tractor sets for 2 weeks without being started i kinda expect what you are describing. (especially if it has a pulse type fuel pump) requires the engine to be cranking to send gas to the carb)

What I do to reduce the crank time so as to help save the starter and battery.
The starter is suppose to not be cranked over about 5 seconds then rest for awhile. Long crank times ruins both the starter and the Bendix gear.

If I know the choke butterfly on the carb is applying a choke and it still has long crank times I take precautions against backfire
AND
I have a small squirt bottle with some gas and I remove the breather and give it a SMALL prime of gas into the carb throat. (small=spoonfull or less)
Best to have the eq outside the building when priming in case of backfire.

If you ever see a backfire and flames in the carb throat just keep cranking the engine to suck the fire inside.

Summary:
If you know it's being actually choked try giving it a little prime of gas.
What you describe is normal on some eq.
A low pressure (2 psi max) electric fuel pump will reduce the long crank times on some eq. (but most RELIABLE ones are around $60