Starter question

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No, it wasn't.

Funny thing about this. The two bolt holes on the side of the engine, match the holes on the regulator. But, the ONLY way to get it to fit flush on the engine, is the turn the fins towards the ending, and put spacers between the regulators tabs and the engine. If the fins are turned outwards, the connector itself keeps it from sitting flush.

The regulator I looked up for this engine, only has one hole. I can see a nut factory welded to the back of the plate a regulator mounts to. But I didn't check to see if there were two.
Here is something even funnier. That is a Kohler 15 amp half wave regulator/rectifier attached to a Briggs engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You want the fins facing inward into the engine shroud for the extra air cooling if possible. Or at least that how Kohler mounts their voltage regulators.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You want the fins facing inward into the engine shroud for the extra air cooling if possible. Or at least that how Kohler mounts their voltage regulators.

Seems like I remember seeing the black resin side always facing outward, instead of the fins. I've got another one, the right one, on the list to order. Stens 435-195. The mounting holes looks like they'll match.
It's a little pricey though, at almost $60.
1583761081153.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That the style the IPL indicates for this engine. At the tech didn't cut the connectors and housings.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, it wasn't.

Funny thing about this. The two bolt holes on the side of the engine, match the holes on the regulator. But, the ONLY way to get it to fit flush on the engine, is the turn the fins towards the ending, and put spacers between the regulators tabs and the engine. If the fins are turned outwards, the connector itself keeps it from sitting flush.

The regulator I looked up for this engine, only has one hole. I can see a nut factory welded to the back of the plate a regulator mounts to. But I didn't check to see if there were two.
PT you can google "Briggs alternator chart pdf" and you can get a nice color chart to help identify Briggs alternators and regulators by engine type. Maybe this link will work
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/c...FjAIegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw18u2KXso3GQCzGHE-lzBZU[/URL]

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That the style the IPL indicates for this engine. At the tech didn't cut the connectors and housings.

I found the same stens part on Amazon for $20. At least it says it's a stens.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can also google "alternator replacement guide pdf " and get a good guide to briggs alternators

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seems like I remember seeing the black resin side always facing outward, instead of the fins. I've got another one, the right one, on the list to order. Stens 435-195. The mounting holes looks like they'll match.
It's a little pricey though, at almost $60.
View attachment 51026
As you said it is pricey. That Briggs 845907 can be replaced with 593490. It just the yellow connector is white and list for only $33.80. Both are 15 amp regulators.