Snapper won't crank

navydad2022

Threads
I don't know what causes pull start not to work.one question

When it does start it runs great, but after l shut it off it goes to buzzing and try it again no luck on both key or pull start ,

First lets make sure your battery is good. Just because its reading 12+ volts doesn't mean its good. If you can get it load tested at a local auto parts store that would be a help. You could also try using a battery that you know is good, like your car battery or a Jump start box.

Second, as was mentioned by Rivets, check your ground wire. There should be a black wire that runs from the mower battery to bolt somewhere on the frame of the mower. The connections should be corrosion free and tight at both ends.

As you asked earlier about jumping the starter. Once you are sure the ground wire is making good connection, you can try jumping the starter. First remove the spark plug so you aren't fighting compression. There should be a thick red wire connected to a bolt on the starter. You can run a jumper cable wire directly from the red(+) terminal on the mower battery and touch the other end to the bolt on the starter that has the thick red wire connected. If starter spins the engine you know that it is working and we can look elsewhere for other problems.

Two things to remember...if the ground wire isn't making connection, this won't work. Second do this at your own risk. When you touch the pos(+) cable to the starter it will probably spark so use caution.

Get back to us and let us know what you did.
I will do that and thank you and I'll get back on what happened 🙏

Ocean909

Threads
Solenoid will click when activated, but if you are jumping the starter you are bypassing the solenoid.

navydad2022

Threads
Solenoid will click when activated, but if you are jumping the starter you are bypassing the solenoid.
I'm just turning the key to start and the solenoid is buzzing and not click

Ocean909

Threads
That could mean a bad battery, bad ground or bad solenoid. Check out this video for testing

Forest#2

Threads
Disconnect the wire from the starter and see if it clicks or buzzes.
A starter solenoid will SOMETIMES make a buzzing sound when the voltage to the solenoid goes low. the reason it makes the buz sound is the voltage is going up and down at a fast rate (fast pulses) and a voltmeter will read the voltage as low, but if a oscilloscope were using the voltage would look like spikes, not smooth DC voltage.
If it clicks with the starter wire loose get a voltmeter and do some testing. It indicates that the battery voltage to the solenoid coil terminal is going low when the starter loads the battery. Bad battery or poor connections.
If the solenoid buzzes or chatters with 12-14 volts applied to the coil itself and no starter load the solenoid is most likely bad due to rust or trash inside not allowing the solenoid plunger to make full travel.

Have you tried using jumper cables from another battery?????.

Last edited:

navydad2022

Threads
Disconnect the wire from the starter and see if it clicks or buzzes.
If it clicks with the starter wire loose get a voltmeter and do some testing. It indicates that the battery voltage is going low when the starter loads the battery

Have you tried using jumper cables from another battery?????.
That's my next step, Thank you for your expertise

MowerNick

Threads
Sounds like a safety swith or maybe the blades are engaged or possibly not in neutral.