Snapper won't crank

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slomo, I’ve just about had it with you. You have very little, if any, understanding about how the different electrical circuits on small engine equipment works. You post things that make no sense if anyone reads the entire thread. In this case I’m assuming that the OP means the kill (ground) wire to the coil module. Your posts most often hurt the chances of anyone solving their problems. Please stay out of any thread which you see “Rivets” in unless you have any proven information to suggest. If you don’t and I see you post bad info I’m going to call you out in a fashion you will not like.
To the OP, please accept my apology for ranting in the middle of your thread, but know I’m here until you solve this problem.
Rivets, no doubt I have a lot to learn. No argument there Rivets. I only react to what is typed out for us to decipher Rivets. Trying to help everyone here if possible.

Some starters have ground cables attached. Some are grounded through the engine block. I get it, all good Rivets.

Puzzled why you are taking a mower forum to a personal level? I have no ill will towards you. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers sir.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slomo, ALL of todays DC starters use on small engines are ground through the case, with the exception of starter/generators which I doubt you have ever worked on. Why are my feathers ruffled? Because for the last three months you keep posting info which has very little benefit to the thread. Many times you fail to read or maybe don’t understand what is posted by others trying to help and even repeat what other have all ready suggested. If you post good relevant material I’ve got no problem, but tell people to purchase expensive equipment or products which will cause the members more problems, I will no longer let it slide off my back. Ex; purchase a $70.00 spark tester which may be used once or twice, using HighTac are materials which it will ruin. This is not helpful to anyone and the teacher in me will not let me stay silent. You may now go to the back of the long list of members who hate me, that will roll off my back.

navydad2022

Threads
I’ve used this procedure (tweaked a little for different equipment) for many years. If I’m reading this thread right he’s talking about a problem getting the engine to turn over. That’s why I posted the procedure, but if my assumptions are wrong it’s a waste of time. If I was standing next to the equipment 80% of the time I would figure out the answer in less than an hour, but I’m a thousand miles away so all I can do is give suggestions.
Well l did some trouble shooting and found my fuse came out,now my ignition solenoid buzzes but no crank.have 12.89 DC at starter but no crank.Is there a way to test starter.it started here and there and now nothing but the solenoid buzzing

navydad2022

Threads
Well l did some trouble shooting and found my fuse came out,now my ignition solenoid buzzes but no crank.have 12.89 DC at starter but no crank.Is there a way to test starter.it started here and there and now nothing but the solenoid buzzing
It's weird because l can't pull start it,but when it does crank l go and pull start it and it works.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Steps 3-5 in my procedure. I’ll be back tomorrow.

navydad2022

Threads
Steps 3-5 in my procedure. I’ll be back tomorrow.
I have 12.89a/c at the starter l tried disconnecting the kill wire no luck on pull start or cranks.at least now l can hear the solenoid buzzing but no action.l will try your procedures and 🤞pin point problem.Thank you

Ocean909

Threads
@navydad2022 You mentioned the solenoid is new...any chance you got a bad one? Is this a genuine OEM solenoid, or aftermarket from Amazon or Ebay.

@Rivets Your procedure for tracing a staring issue is very thorough, what I can't understand is why pull start isn't starting the engine.

navydad2022

Threads
@navydad2022 You mentioned the solenoid is new...any chance you got a bad one? Is this a genuine OEM solenoid, or aftermarket from Amazon or Ebay.

@Rivets Your procedure for tracing a staring issue is very thorough, what I can't understand is why pull start isn't starting the engine.
You got me, I'm a newbie and you're the expert.any advice.and it's not a OEM part

navydad2022

Threads
You got me, I'm a newbie and you're the expert.any advice.and it's not a OEM part
I don't know what causes pull start not to work.one question
When it does start it runs great, but after l shut it off it goes to buzzing and try it again no luck on both key or pull start ,

Ocean909

Threads
I don't know what causes pull start not to work.one question

When it does start it runs great, but after l shut it off it goes to buzzing and try it again no luck on both key or pull start ,
First lets make sure your battery is good. Just because its reading 12+ volts doesn't mean its good. If you can get it load tested at a local auto parts store that would be a help. You could also try using a battery that you know is good, like your car battery or a Jump start box.

Second, as was mentioned by Rivets, check your ground wire. There should be a black wire that runs from the mower battery to bolt somewhere on the frame of the mower. The connections should be corrosion free and tight at both ends.

As you asked earlier about jumping the starter. Once you are sure the ground wire is making good connection, you can try jumping the starter. First remove the spark plug so you aren't fighting compression. There should be a thick red wire connected to a bolt on the starter. You can run a jumper cable wire directly from the red(+) terminal on the mower battery and touch the other end to the bolt on the starter that has the thick red wire connected. If starter spins the engine you know that it is working and we can look elsewhere for other problems.

Two things to remember...if the ground wire isn't making connection, this won't work. Second do this at your own risk. When you touch the pos(+) cable to the starter it will probably spark so use caution.

Get back to us and let us know what you did.