Snapper 14hp ohv CV14ST

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler engine. Was running when I stored it for winter. Charged battery. Engine started, ran for 10 minutes. Would not restart. Let it sit and charge overnight. Started, stopped after 8 ot 10 minutes. Could not restart. Fuel flow is good. Checked filter. OK. Changed spark plug. After it runs, appears to lose spark. Thinking it might be the coil. Any ideas??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you say “would not restart” what do you mean? Engine spins, but will not start? Starter will not spin engine over? How old is the battery? Did you store the unit with fuel in it? How old is the fuel you put in when getting the unit out of storage? When you answer these questions we will have a better picture of your problem and can give you better answer as how to proceed.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up the engine's model and spec numbers.

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a Snapper Kohler engine, ModelCV14. Fresh fuel. It will turn over after it stops but will not fire. Battery is 3 years old. Stored dry. It will restart after sitting overnight. Runs fine for 8 to 10 minutes then just dies. Doesn't seem to have spark when restarting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being that it has just come out of storeage pull the blower housing off and check for mouse damage.
A kill wire with chewed through insulation will do this

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, has a good start. If you find no damage, the next time you try to start it the second time and it doesn’t start, remove the plug. If it is wet you may be correct that you have no spark.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When doing the initial diagnosis I use a red in-line spark tester fitted to the engine .
When the engine won't start you look at the tester while you are cranking
No red flashes = no spark
At the same time I spray a little carb cleaner down the carb
Fires right up = fuel problem

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
No mice damage. Checked spark after failed restart. No spark. Used ether in carb but no start. I let it sit overnight an it will start and run once, then quit.

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could the coil be heating up and then fail?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I had it I would first try starting It hot with the kill wire disconnected from the coil. No problem trying this with the shroud off. If no spark I would be replacing the coil. If it starts you will have to trace for a hot open or short in the kill wire.