Snapper 14hp ohv CV14ST

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just started it and ran for about 10 min. It died but the battery was dead. Not charging? Coil not good? Battery won't charge when running?
Apparently it'll run till there is no battery left.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you must check to see if the charging system is working. Next time start the unit and while it is running check battery voltage. You should have a voltage of 13-14.5 VDC while running or you charging system is not working. If you have the right voltage, you have a bad battery for sure and it needs to be replaced. Until I know I have a good battery and the charging system is working properly I wouldn’t be replacing the coil. That being said you may easily have to replace both. One question, how old is the battery? Over 4 years I would be replacing it anyway. Forgot to say that if you system is charging at over 14.6 VDC your charging system and battery are both probably bad.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a full 3200 or 3600 revs to charge the battery. If you idle it like a Harley, it won't put out enough juice to charge the battery.

slomo

olie01

Threads
The spark igniter, a small modular, connected to the coil wire to grounded side is bad. this is what they use to control the stark. Usually mounted on the right side of the block with 2 black wires attached to it, one to coil the other to engine block. coil may also be bad, but most of time it's M118 modular.

Rick42wood

Threads
Something is being affected by motor heat for sure, but that would be a long list. Try removing wiring from any clamps and wrap them with tin foil. See if it runs longer.

Joed756

Threads
I have seen spark plugs fail without any apparent reason, and only Champion spark plugs. But you get a crack in the insulator so small that you can't see it. Start the engine and everything is just hunky-dory until the plug heats up enough to expand the insulator which opens that crack a smidge and sends the spark to ground, bypassing the spark plug. Try a new good name spark plug. Ii suppose something like this could happen with the spark plug wire.

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fired after sitting all night. Got 10 minutes work ou of it then it quit. Checked plug and carb. Had fuel plug wet. Grounded plug against motor and turned key to start it. no Spark. Tried to start after disconnecting the kill wire (I think). No spark. Bought and installed another new spark plug, not cham[pion, negative results. Took the cover off of the cylinder head. Just a shield cover not the valve cover. Full of dirt and gunk. Will power wash it tomorrow and see if it helps.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To all the garage mechanics and the DIY guys on this thread, the OP is complaining about a unit the dies after a10 minutes of operation with a dead battery. Why are you looking at spark plugs, this is not a battery ignition system, it’s a magneto ignition system. I guess you guys know more about how to diagnose these problems than I ever will so I’m going to get out of your way and learn from you.

Topdeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Power washed about 5 lbs of dirt and gunk off engine and cylinder head. Battery is ok, held a charge. Poured some Sea Foam in the carb and let it sit overnight. Seems to be working, but the muffler fell off while cleaning and have to replace it for a long term run.