Smoothing out the lawn

benski

Threads
Certainly if you can get the contractor back, and have them do a good job, that would be best. Perhaps a well-placed call to the Better Business Bureau if they don't want to fix their mistake will prompt them. I've had okay results using that avenue. Failing that, you'll probably end up renting some appropriate equipment if you want to do it yourself. Tiller, boxgrader, and roller all come to mind as a start. It's enough to make you lose more faith in your fellow man when people don't do what they say they're going to do.:mad:

JimmyTheGlove

Threads
Call the people who left the ruts and tell them it needs to be rolled OR they can mow it for you every time it needs it !

No excuse for a landscaping or grading contractor leaving it uneven ! :thumbdown:

I agree! That is simply unacceptable. If it were me, I'd be on the phone with the phonies that left it like that until they were on their way to fix.
All they need to do is till it up and fix it that way. But I'm like you, that's a chore I'll avoid if I can help it. So make them do it!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what kind of grass you have On the golf course we top drees twice a year with river sand most grass likes sand and river sand is full of natural fertilizer. Just fill In the ruts and drag with chain link fence

Rich F

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have cool season grasses mostly fescues.
How is river sand different than other sand.Is it specifically called that & where do you purchase? At a garden center or nursery?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most sand you buy will be river sand we call it that because it is dredged out of a river The best place to buy sand is from a concrete company most times they will sell it for there cost. Fescue is a thick blade grass and likes the cold and shade so now would be a good time to do this it will come up and re root it self along the way so come spring when it warms up it will be strong enough to with stand the heat. I like fescue because it stays green year long and I get to mow 12 months a year

Threads
My back lawn used to be a Horse Riding area and its a bit rough. Get to bounce around on the riding lawn tractor when you mow.

What I need is a LAWN Zamboni.

Simply a small dual axcel dump trailer that holds maybe 2 yards of topsoil/manure/lime and attaches behind an ATV or lawn tractor. it spreads an even thin coat of dirt on the lawn as you ride around mowing.

After a Summer of Lawnboning you should be able to have a putting green smooth lawn.

If any of you equipment manufatures may be interested I can design this and we can sell them.

anyone interested?

Capt@WickedGoodOutdoors.com

"fescue because it stays green year long "? I never knew that, Will have to dig up the snow this winter and take a look.

Would Anyone like to help clear out some brush and do some raking? Bring your rakes, pitchforks wheelbarrows and ATVs with wagons if you have them . We pile it all up into burn piles. Have a few beers and Ill take you out on a Fishing Charter next Spring.

Capt@WickedGoodOutdoors.com

Home Page

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 49

jenkinsph

Threads
I built a landplane/grader with the blades set straight and flush with the skids. Works well to cut off mounds and fill depressions. Even though this 8' plane weighs 950 lbs., it will slide across the level grass with very little damage. It can act as a screed too if you want to dump some topsoil or sand into it as you pull it across the trouble areas. This might save you having to start over again with tilling, smoothing and reseeding the whole area.

You should be able to smooth up two acres with a tractor and plane in a couple of hours, so less than a days rental.

Here is a picture of the one I built, lots of similar ones made by most shortline companies.

Rich F

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks-I like your idea.What is a shortline company? I won't have the time to build one myself.Where would I be able to purchase one? That is what I am looking for.Load up the back & fill in the low areas as I knock off the high spots.

jenkinsph

Threads
A shortline company refers to a company making a limited line of products, compared to companies such as Deere, Kubota, and others who offer a full line of tractors, riding mowers, industrial and road equipment. Usually these shortline companies will off implements but not tractors.

A few to check out would be the Frontier, Leinbach, LandPride and Durograder, to name a few. Some are available with scarifier teeth too similar to a boxblade setup.

Here is a pic of my lawn that I smoothed up with the landplane in the above post.

Rich F

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info.Lawn looks great.That it what I envison mine to be like when it is done.Will have to wait till spring as we have already had a few frosts & mowing season is just about done.That will give me time over the winter to get situated & start on it in the spring.