Shredding belts after replacing spindles

tvaughn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently changed my spindles and thought it didn't look right but ran it anyway. Now, sure enough, I am shredding my belt. My middle spindle pulley looks to be sitting too high...I thought I had put everything back just like it was. Is that my problem...how can I fix this?

View attachment 64747View attachment 64747View attachment 64748View attachment 64748View attachment 64749View attachment 64749
The belt is not routed correctly. Make sure the V side of the belt in on the V pulleys and the flat side of the belt is on the flat pulley.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The belt is not routed correctly. Make sure the V side of the belt in on the V pulleys and the flat side of the belt is on the flat pulley.
Hmmm, Just which one of the six flat sides you think the OP need to put against the flat idlers? All you can do is install it without a twist in the belt. Now of these do have two primary sides that for the v grooves and can have a couple raised ribs on those sides. Also that align the cording of the belts for maximum strength.

Here is an example.
1685445173739.png

bassadict69

Threads
Belt was installed correctly until it was ran for awhile on uneven pulleys and began shredding.

I have flipped the pulley and now everything lines up nice and level...I hope to be able to grab a new belt tomorrow.

strohmoose

Threads
Aren't there two different length spindles of some decks like my Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle?

Gord Baker

Threads
Have you managed to put a pulley on upside down by any chance?
Good eye! Yes the belt is running much lower on the pulley in foreground. Left?
Sometimes the shaft that holds the Idler wears and you have to give the strap a bend to align the belt.

LMPPLUS

Threads
Basadict69, double check that belt and make sure it's a "double v belt" P/N-07200026 or equal 265-518 Stens, also make sure all the idler pulleys are v idlers not flat idlers, once you get the pulley turned over.

AChrome

Threads
Something is not right? Oh I know, we have no idea which model of Ariens/Gravely mower you are showing us. Hundreds of models available, can you narrow it down to one, by tell use the model number off the ID tag. Then we at least have a chance of helping you with your problem.
Come on man, don't be so cruel. Did you talk to your students this way when they were trying to learn?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes I did, because honestly is always the best way to get their attention. If you think that was cruel, you should see what I’m thinking about you and your post. If you would be a regular member of this forum, you would see how many times people post inquiries about how to fix something, but give us no clue of what they have in front of them. People forget most of us are techs located hundreds if not thousands of miles away, not psychic’s, who are not standing next to them while they tell us about the problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I did, because honestly is always the best way to get their attention. If you think that was cruel, you should see what I’m thinking about you and your post. If you would be a regular member of this forum, you would see how many times people post inquiries about how to fix something, but give us no clue of what they have in front of them. People forget most of us are techs located hundreds if not thousands of miles away, not psychic’s, who are not standing next to them while they tell us about the problem.
Does get frustrating at times. Or when the OP says they've already done some testing trick, come to find out they really haven't. When the pictures get posted the truth comes out.