Shredding belts after replacing spindles

bassadict69

Threads
I recently changed my spindles and thought it didn't look right but ran it anyway. Now, sure enough, I am shredding my belt. My middle spindle pulley looks to be sitting too high...I thought I had put everything back just like it was. Is that my problem...how can I fix this?

IMG_7453.jpgIMG_7453.jpgIMG_7454.jpgIMG_7454.jpgIMG_7455.jpgIMG_7455.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Something is not right? Oh I know, we have no idea which model of Ariens/Gravely mower you are showing us. Hundreds of models available, can you narrow it down to one, by tell use the model number off the ID tag. Then we at least have a chance of helping you with your problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the center spindle pulley is fine. the issue is the left spindle pulley is on upside down. If you look the idler pulley is in line with the center spindle pulley but the left spindle is pulling the belt downward.

Bertrrr

Threads
Looks like the belt is Rolling and twisting, once they do that they keep on doing it I find. I'm not sure those Idlers have a up/down design but maybe so ,pull both and flip over to see if there's a difference I think if there's a side that is longer or sticking out more than the other side it would go down so the pully would have enough clearance over the deck,

bassadict69

Threads
It’s a 991083, ser number begins with 022

bassadict69

Threads
I think the center spindle pulley is fine. the issue is the left spindle pulley is on upside down. If you look the idler pulley is in line with the center spindle pulley but the left spindle is pulling the belt downward.
I will try flipping it and see if it helps...

bassadict69

Threads
Also, what is the easiest way to release the belt tension? I had a hell of a time with it when I replaced the spindles.

Bertrrr

Threads
I hook a cord through the spring and pull into place

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bingo. Both the Ariens and the Gravely version of the 52" deck are in the shop now. The LH deck spindle pulley is definitely upside down.
Looks like the belt is Rolling and twisting, once they do that they keep on doing it I find. I'm not sure those Idlers have a up/down design but maybe so ,pull both and flip over to see if there's a difference I think if there's a side that is longer or sticking out more than the other side it would go down so the pully would have enough clearance over the deck,
An optical illusion usually as this mower uses a BB belt which is a 5/8" Hex shaped belt but with the belt damage it might have rolled..
1685391753987.png