Blades Sharpening for next year.

ron815

Threads
Have a HRR 21677VKA Honda push mower. Going to take the blades off and either try to sharpen them or take to dealer. Never tried to sharpen double blades before. Any hints? Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a HRR 21677VKA Honda push mower. Going to take the blades off and either try to sharpen them or take to dealer. Never tried to sharpen double blades before. Any hints? Thanks.

There are some aftermarket sharpeners just for mower blades. Some are "manual" and others attach to a power drill or Dremel tool. You can use a hand file as well.

Don't sharpen to a razor edge; doing so will just wear the edge faster. Insert a screwdriver through the the hole in the middle of the blade to check the balance. Remove material from the heavy side first.

Regardless, be sure to follow some basic safety rules:

* Always wear heavy gloves when working near the blades.
* Block the blades with a large 2 x 4 or other block of wood before trying to loosen/install the blade bolts
* Only use the bolts and washers that came with the mower; they are engineered to work with the mower, so don't substitute.
* When tightening the blade bolts, use a torque wrench to get the bolts tightened exactly.

ron815

Threads
Thanks Robert, really appreciate that. I called my Honda dealer, and he said it was $10.00 for 2 blades. That sounds pretty good. Thanks again.

ron815

Threads
My_guy99

That's true, but I thought that was a good price.

My_guy99

Threads
I'm cheap, an if I can do it myself and save time abd the gas money, why not! I hate paying for doing routine maintenance! That's just me though. You stuff and your money! It's just my opinion, the extra feeling that I can do things myself make me feel good! But like I said just my opinion!

Threads
I would say just take it to the dealer, for $10 you can guarantee it is going to be done well.

My_guy99

Threads
No way I'd pay. Something so simple as a grinder or dremel and a nail in the wall an if its balanced it done right!