Self propell inconsistant. Works perfect then starts slipping and then nothing!

bondo11

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Self propell inconsistant. Works perfect then starts slipping and then nothing!
Honda QuadraCut System Model HRZ216TDA SER # MAFA-1003533
I have been having difficulty with getting this mower to operate consistantly. I have moved the cables around it gets better then goes back to no self propulsion. My friend had the same mower and became so annyoyed with it he gave it to me for parts. Single family property so mower has really not been hammered. When is is working it is the very best, but when the self propell stops it is an animal to mover around. Belt looks fine, spring under cover nice and tight ????? Anyone have any ideas ??
Thank you in advance for the reply.
Brian

b_klarl

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Self propell inconsistant. Works perfect then starts slipping and then nothing!
I am not sure where your self propulsion problem is coming from On my Honda HHR216 I had an issue with only one wheel being powered while engaged in self propelled mode. After taking off the wheel that was not being driven, I discovered that it has a spring loaded woodruff key that only engages and powers the wheel when going forward. After cleaning and lubricating the spring and the slot it sits in, it worked perfectly.
So, maybe you need to check out the wheels themselves...

bondo11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yesterday I inspected the wheels everything is good. I rolled the machine over and checked the caples they are not broken I played with the cables somewhat to see if I could get some action out of the transmission. They seem to be functional down to the transmission. I started dropping the bottom of the transmission to see if the cables are not hooked up inside of the transmission. I figured it is not running now so what the hey take it apart. I started pulling the bottom of the transmission off ran into a problem,ITS BEER DRINKING TIME STOPPED FOR THE DAY. What a pain in the butt this machine has been. Hopefully I will find something today !
Thanks for your replies in advance !
Brian

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda QuadraCut System Model HRZ216TDA SER # MAFA-1003533
I have been having difficulty with getting this mower to operate consistantly. I have moved the cables around it gets better then goes back to no self propulsion.

Brian, here are a few pages from the shop manual to get you started. First, check the drive clutch lever freeplay. Fully released, it should move about 1-5mm before you feel tension from the cable. Loosen and reposition the cable where it mounts on the handlebar to get the freeplay within spec.

Inspect the change (gear speed) cable; make sure it's operating properly. Often, worn or stretched cables can cause poor self-propel performance.

The input pulley on the transmission is connected to the input shaft via a roll spring. Make sure it's in place and the pulley is not slipping on the shaft.

You may need to remove the transmission to really inspect it completely, and confirm everything on the outside is okay. If that's the case, it may be time for a new transmission. MSRP for one is $110; you may wish to have an experienced Honda tech confirm this is required.

FYI, "Service Bulletin #51" called out in the pages below is for an unrelated issue with these mowers being difficult to roll backwards (from 1999).

Attachments

• HRZ drive clutch lever freeplay.jpg
    HRZ drive clutch lever freeplay.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 69
  • HRZ rear wheel pinion gear.jpg
    HRZ rear wheel pinion gear.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 61
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_1.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 69
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_2.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 78
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_3.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 82
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_4.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_4.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 65
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_5.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_5.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 61
  • hrz trans r&r_Page_6.jpg
    hrz trans r&r_Page_6.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 61

bondo11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey robert@honda
Thank you for taking the time to post the information regarding my issue with the self propulsion.
It is greatly appreciated !
Brian

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey robert@honda
Thank you for taking the time to post the information regarding my issue with the self propulsion.
It is greatly appreciated !
Brian

You are quite welcome...hope the info helps resolve the problem.

bondo11

Forum Newbie
Threads
robert @ honda
I did get some pricing for the transmission and was telling my friend about it and he said he had the same exact lawn mower with a blown engine. So I have elected to pull the transmission out of it and toss it into mine, rather then spend a hundred bucks for a fairly old mower.
Seems as though the self propelled portion for several honda mowers are oftenly problematic.
I have viewed several forums and they all talk about self propelled honda mower problems.
Has honda come up with a different drive system ?

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have viewed several forums and they all talk about self propelled honda mower problems.
Has honda come up with a different drive system ?

In the 20 years I've been working @ Honda, I've seen at least 1/2 dozen different lawn mower transmission designs. Some have legs, like the hydrostatic drive in the top-of-the-line HRX and HRC commercial models. It is really bulletproof. Hardly any changes.

Other styles only last a few years, until they either get to costly or a subcontractor/supplier can't meet quality control goals. The newest one is doing quite well; the SmartDRIVE transmission, which first gen models use an internal cone-style clutch. The most recent version got updated to a proven slipping-belt design, and so far, so good.

Bottom line? A proven, durable design can be costly to develop and manufacture, especially in low volumes. A lower cost design that's not expected to last for thousands and thousands of hours can usually do a suitable job and provide higher sales volumes which can still make a price point that makes it affordable for a buyer.

Threads
That has happened to us before, to the point where 95% of the time we were pushing it! I don't know what the problem was, but we just took it in to the shop to get fixed. It works like a charm now!!:smile:

jp1htx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also have a Honda HRZ216TDA, with the exact same problem. Spoke to Honda Power Equipment Customer service guy in Georgia, and a local Honda dealer; both were quick to say the transmission is only serviced as an assembly, no individual parts are available to repair a transmission. Honda Customer Service guy in Georgia did say the transmission was lubricated with 10W30 motor oil.

Never did find a way to check or add oil to the transmission. Sooo, this afternoon I drilled a 1/8" hole in the side of the upper half of the transmission case, added almost a pint of motor oil, then plugged the hole with a short metal screw. Turning axles by hand finds they turn a little easier. Will complete re-assembly tomorrow, checkout, and report outcome. If adding the oil corrects the problem, I will post photos of the location selected for adding oil. Never saw oil on the concrete garage floor where the Honda mower is kept, but I know a transmission without oil is not going to have as long a service life as I require of power equipment.