Seat Safety Switch Modification

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree it's not safe, but it's a convenience thing for some people and can be a pita for others.

brandonb

Threads
You said when you sit down, the plate sits onto the large springs on the mower and compresses and the safety switch "button" gets pushed in allowing the engine to start and remain running.
The switch does nothing but close the circuit when compressed, allowing the engine to start and remain running. Installing a jumper should do the same.

differnt wiring harnesses do different things. most use a normally open (NO) switch, but most older ones use a normally closed (NC) switch. On models with NC switches if you put a jumper in it it will not run.

Blade Runner

Threads
Next time I have the rider out, I am going to see what happens when I put it in neutral, disengage the blades, and engage the emergency brake and then hop off the rider. If it remains running, I am going to put the safety switch back to original operating condition. I always put it in neutral and disengage the blades anyway before hopping off the mower and if one more step allows the engine to continue to run (engaging the emergency brake), thats not a bad setup to me. ....but it may be a while before I use it again. I mowed in level 3 instead of 4 last time (I like the short pile carpet look) and now we have record heat and no rain, so some of the lawn turned yellow and died!

I guess it can be difficult for a long term Snapper rear engine rider lover, to fully convert to a front engine rider:biggrin:

Thanks for everyones comments. I have learned alot.

PJ

Threads
I think the seat safety switch that causes the engine to shut off if you try to get off the mower with it running is a great ideal for teenagers and the accident prone....but its an aggrevation switch for me.:biggrin:

So, last night while in the garage drinking a beer and trying to figure out how to install side mirrors on the mower, I decided to modify the seat safety switch to allow the mower engine to remain running, while I get off of it to pick up a piece of trash or a rock or whatever, before I roll over it and shoot tiny bits of trash all over the yard or throw a high velocity projectile at the windows, etc.

It was easy. The switch is connected to a plate next to the seat pan. In between the plate and the seat pan are bolts with springs and sleeves. When you sit down, the plate sits onto the large springs on the mower and compresses and the safety switch "button" gets pushed in allowing the engine to start and remain running.

I just removed the existing sleeves and replaced them with shorter sleeves and tightened the nuts down until the safety switch button was pushed in. Now the mower engine remains running even if I get off of it. I can always put the original sleeves back on and activate the safety switch.

NOTE: I actually do know a person who allowed their teenager to use a riding mower without a seat safety switch. The teenager started getting off the mower to move something and left the blades engaged and the mower came out of neutral and the teen tripped and got 2 of her fingers almost cutt off. Emergency saved her fingers and somehow the teenager got a $10,000 insurance fund out of it. But she still has some nerve damage.

.....in other words, don't do the modification I just described, its too dangerous for you.:biggrin:

Sir
Your mower has a handbrake mechanism witch makes it more safe it prevents the machine to runaway and stops the blades while pick up the piece of trash. Please reconsider and do not disable the seat swich for your own and your family's safety

Regards
PJ

Corvet3640

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm digging up an old post to provide what I feel is an elegant solution to bypass the seat switch. Tap into the wires and add a push button switch as an alternative. Example on my mower I have a normally open switch next to the steering wheel. When I need to lean off the seat, I push that switch and it overrides the seat switch. I let go/fall off/get shot by a bazooka what ever- I let go of the switch, mower dies.

Mwh0428

Threads
When I was eleven (15 now) was allowed to run the tractor, the lawn mower, and drive the old ford around the farm but my dad was always watching me or in the passenger seat of the truck.

Sent from my droid 4 using LMF