Seat Safety Switch Modification

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am 11 so I need it but when I get on bouncy spots I think it affects the engine. I am only 75 pds. Is their anyway to do this just to make it a little less sensitive?:ashamed:

If you are only a 75 lb. 11 yer old where are your parents when you are operating all this dangerous equipment? Chain saws to Z turn mowers. If you are still in school where is the money coming from to buy this equipment? I know when I was at a younger age which I don't remenber what age, I lived on a farm and yes I did operate farm equipment but under close supervision by my father and never a chain saw.

bjc

Threads
My parents are seperated and live in different houses, but are within 1/2 mile or down the street, and all of the lawns that I mow are between their houses, and I do carry a phone. My dad uses the chainsaw, and his broke so I am looking for a new one for him. I am mostly in school for the winter, but when the grass grows, I mow on Friday afternoon. Unlike many kids money isn't a problem for me, and my parents rarely buy me anything, I am in the business also of buying and reselling. I make an income of 5k a year, after expenses. Next season, I am upgrading to Stihl, a bigger trailer, and a Cyclone Rake. I am sorry so many people have a problem with a kid being mature for his age. I currently mow and maintain 7 yards and charge 35 dollars a lawn and where I live that is 1/2 of what pros charge, and I do a pretty good job.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know that there will be some here that will not appreciate what I'm about to say but I'll say it anyway. I think in this day and age there are those kids who can handle situations like bjc. I don't see anything wrong with a mature 11 year old kid using a ZTR. My grandson who is mature for his age of 11 runs a 60" gravely commercial ztr and mows residential and can use most any type of lawncare equipment better than most.

The thing that amazes me is the number of people who comment that it's nice to see a kid his age out working instead of sitting home on his a** playing video games or doing what the average kid does, sending and receiving 3700 text messages a month which will really help him later in life. :rolleyes: Instead of chastising the kid give him some help and knowledge. bjc you go kid :thumbsup:

bjc

Threads
Thank you ric, My dad has a retired girl scout camp in Danville that is 90acres, and I mow it with a 60'' Bush Hog ztr, and a finishing mower in a day.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, I have no problem with an 11year old going out and mowing lawns. I do have a problem with an 11 year old claiming to be a professional. Using a walk behind mower, tractor, Z, string trimmer, blower, go for it. I think thats great. Chain saw, no way. Claiming to be a professional, no way. If he is making 5K a year after expenses, means in my area he needs a liciense and insurance. I would like to see what happens when shoots a stone through a car window or hits something by accident. If you read his posts, you will realize that he has a lot to learn, plus he does not listen to the responses that are posted. I taught for 34 years and have run into many individuals like this and they all think they know it all. I don't even call myself a professional mechanic and I have been rebuilding engines for over 40 years. To bjc, read what is posted to answer your questions and don't question the answers. Most of thhe people here know what they are talking about. They are willing to help those who respect their answers, but will turn off those who they feel talk stupid. Ric and I disagree on things all the time. That does not means either of us are wrong, it just means that there are different ways to solve problems. This comes from many years of listening to all of the answers to our questions. If you feel that you are in the same category as someone who has been doing this for a couple of decades, you may be cool, (as you say in you info) but you're not mature enough to be professional.

brandonb

Threads
when i was 11 i was running 42 inch lawn tractors and push mowers and electric weedeaters on 75x150 residential lots. Seat switch kept me from gettin hurt time or two

about the most dangerous lawn tractor running ive seen is my next door neighbors...they have 6 year and 8 year old sons, the 6 year old son sits in the seat and the 8 yer old stands up on the footrest and works the clutch, its a 5 speed craftsman with 42 inch cut. Seat switches need 100 LB minimums to prevent that kind of dangerous operation

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the seat safety switch that causes the engine to shut off if you try to get off the mower with it running is a great ideal for teenagers and the accident prone....but its an aggrevation switch for me.:biggrin:

So, last night while in the garage drinking a beer and trying to figure out how to install side mirrors on the mower, I decided to modify the seat safety switch to allow the mower engine to remain running, while I get off of it to pick up a piece of trash or a rock or whatever, before I roll over it and shoot tiny bits of trash all over the yard or throw a high velocity projectile at the windows, etc.

It was easy. The switch is connected to a plate next to the seat pan. In between the plate and the seat pan are bolts with springs and sleeves. When you sit down, the plate sits onto the large springs on the mower and compresses and the safety switch "button" gets pushed in allowing the engine to start and remain running.

I just removed the existing sleeves and replaced them with shorter sleeves and tightened the nuts down until the safety switch button was pushed in. Now the mower engine remains running even if I get off of it. I can always put the original sleeves back on and activate the safety switch.

NOTE: I actually do know a person who allowed their teenager to use a riding mower without a seat safety switch. The teenager started getting off the mower to move something and left the blades engaged and the mower came out of neutral and the teen tripped and got 2 of her fingers almost cutt off. Emergency saved her fingers and somehow the teenager got a $10,000 insurance fund out of it. But she still has some nerve damage.

.....in other words, don't do the modification I just described, its too dangerous for you.:biggrin:

I think you went through a lot to modify a switch. If you wanted to remove the switch for the circuit all you had to do was unplug the switch and install a jumper wire.

brandonb

Threads
I think you went through a lot to modify a switch. If you wanted to remove the switch for the circuit all you had to do was unplug the switch and install a jumper wire.
On the older ones you just unplug it. On My 1994 AYP Kgro powerpro installing a jumper wire would kill the engine, because its wired directly to the magneto kill.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the older ones you just unplug it. On My 1994 AYP Kgro powerpro installing a jumper wire would kill the engine, because its wired directly to the magneto kill.

You said when you sit down, the plate sits onto the large springs on the mower and compresses and the safety switch "button" gets pushed in allowing the engine to start and remain running.
The switch does nothing but close the circuit when compressed, allowing the engine to start and remain running. Installing a jumper should do the same.

bjc

Threads
I just don't think it's safe to completely turn it off