Scotts 42589X8 Deck Belt Issue

Madscrills

Threads
Greetings,

This is my first post and I apologize if I am breaking a rule of some sort but I did a forum search and didn't find anything on the issue that I'm having.

I have a Scotts 42589X8 42" riding mower. The deck belt slipped off and split apart a few weeks ago, I've ordered three deck belts to no avail. I am routing the belt properly, it's a VERY simple route. Here is an image of the sticker under my mower hood where I got the part # for what I needed to order.

Mower.jpg

The part number 774018 lead me to the following item on Amazon. Amazon.com : 37X88 Replacement Belt Made With Kevlar. For Murray : Lawn Mower Belts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I also verified with a parts dealer that this was indeed the part this mower calls for.

However, putting it on the deck leaves about 4 good inches of slack when the idle pulley is tensioned. It's simply too large! Thinking maybe the part was wrong, I ordered a 37X86, that came in and yep, you guess it.. It was too small..
What am I doing wrong here?

It should be said that I measured the old belt against the one suggested by the part dealer and amazon, and it came up a bit shorter. Where do I go from here? Nothing on the deck is broken, no springs are loose, it actions great.

My grass it getting quite high... Any help is appreciated, thank you all!

Madscrills

Threads
Great! Thank you so much! I'll definitely give this a try and get back with my results.

So just out of curiosity, why does my mower have this other model number all over it and why can I not find this S1642 anywhere on it?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings,

This is my first post and I apologize if I am breaking a rule of some sort but I did a forum search and didn't find anything on the issue that I'm having.

I have a Scotts 42589X8 42" riding mower. The deck belt slipped off and split apart a few weeks ago, I've ordered three deck belts to no avail. I am routing the belt properly, it's a VERY simple route. Here is an image of the sticker under my mower hood where I got the part # for what I needed to order.

View attachment 26673

The part number 774018 lead me to the following item on Amazon. Amazon.com : 37X88 Replacement Belt Made With Kevlar. For Murray : Lawn Mower Belts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I also verified with a parts dealer that this was indeed the part this mower calls for.

However, putting it on the deck leaves about 4 good inches of slack when the idle pulley is tensioned. It's simply too large! Thinking maybe the part was wrong, I ordered a 37X86, that came in and yep, you guess it.. It was too small..
What am I doing wrong here?

It should be said that I measured the old belt against the one suggested by the part dealer and amazon, and it came up a bit shorter. Where do I go from here? Nothing on the deck is broken, no springs are loose, it actions great.

My grass it getting quite high... Any help is appreciated, thank you all!

read this thread...

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/murra...89x8-drive-belt-replacement-help-diagram.html

Madscrills

Threads
Thanks Shift! I really appreciate your help. That's the one thread I came across when I did the search. Though this particular thread seems to be addressing the drive belt, where I need to replace the mower drive belt, or the deck belt.

Surely that post will come in handy for me later one when my drive belt finally gives way though.

Or did I miss something critical?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Shift! I really appreciate your help. That's the one thread I came across when I did the search. Though this particular thread seems to be addressing the drive belt, where I need to replace the mower drive belt, or the deck belt.

Surely that post will come in handy for me later one when my drive belt finally gives way though.

Or did I miss something critical?

In the thread there is a link is a picture #6 of the deck belt routing...after the drive pictures
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/murray_scotts_46561x8_hydro_belts.asp

Madscrills

Threads