Scag TurfTiger Blages disengage/engine stalls

Bamaturf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm a new member with similar problem as others who have posted. 2003 SMT-61A9(deck) , STT61A-27KA(engine).
430 hrs(homeowner/farmer).

Cuts fine until fuse blows, blades disengage and motor stalls. You can turn PTO off and engines runs great. Turn PTO back on , blades spin up to seemingly full speed for about 5-10 seconds and blades die, engine stalls. It always blows the fuse in the process. Battery would loose charge overnight, also. I would charge battery enough to crank but never fully . Hoping the onboard charger would complete the charge.

It caused PTO switch to burn up, replaced PTO switch. it cut fine for one day. Fuse holder getting hot & blowing fuses. Replaced fuse holder, cut for a while and everything repeated the process(except new PTO switch is still good).

I have charged the battery and it took a full charge last night but have not tried to cut due to rain today.

If it continues to fail, what is the next thing to check.troubleshoot?

Would greatly appreciate any help, Farmers don't make enough to send lawnmowers to the shop!LOL

Regards, Bamaturf

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I can make out here, I would say replace the electric clutch.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Disconnect the clutch plug, run the machine and pull the PTO switch on. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals when doing this. More than likely your clutch coil is shorted internally or to ground. In either case, you need a new clutch as it is drawing too much amperage. There may be other problems in the electrical system as result of overload.
Check out the attachment for clutch troubleshooting.
Does your TT have an ammeter, and if so what did it indicate?
Mad Mackie in CT

Attachments

• Ogura GT3.5 electricclutchadjustment.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Bamaturf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Disconnect the clutch plug, run the machine and pull the PTO switch on. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals when doing this. More than likely your clutch coil is shorted internally or to ground. In either case, you need a new clutch as it is drawing too much amperage. There may be other problems in the electrical system as result of overload.
Check out the attachment for clutch troubleshooting.
Does your TT have an ammeter, and if so what did it indicate?
Mad Mackie in CT

Thank You MM!

Its a bad clutch! Can't get clutch off, however. The main nut on the clutch sins the shaft (both ways) and I have not figured a way to hold the shaft in place while turning the nut.

Any Ideas??? I am very thankful for any advice!

Bamaturf

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A good chain wrench with a impact driver should do it...!

Bamaturf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks EM but unfortunately I don't have either. Is there another way?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use an air impact wrench.
You may have to hold the flywheel nut with a socket and breaker bar to stop the engine from spinning, the debris screen over the flywheel will have to be removed to do this. This is best done with a second person holding the flywheel nut.

Last edited: