Scag stuff from Mad Mackie in CT

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had the hankering for a new seat for my Tiger Cub, did some research and found an eBay seller (seatwearhouse) that had tan colored suspension seats for sale of the type that are on new Scag Tiger Cats. I bought one and installed it but needed to raise it up on 1" spacers. Nice seat, should have done this long ago!!! Adjustable suspension, seat back, lumbar and armrests!!! This should smooth some of the bumps that I mow over and ease my lower back discomfort.
While I was installing the new seat, I noticed some hydraulic oil seeping from the connections on the oil return hoses. I carefully tightened the small hoseclamps, they are 1/4", I needed a long and short box wrenches and tightened all of them. This may be an area on Scag machines with separate pumps and wheelmotors that operators should check. Don't overtighten these small hoseclamps as they can break fairly easily.
I gotta hookup and do some leaf cleanup today for several customers. I have already passed the 1,000 bushel mark and there are still lots of leaves on the trees!!!
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A quick update to the suspension seat installation,
I looked thru the latest parts manual for Tiger Cats and saw that Scag installs spacers under these seats to raise them up to clear the metal on the top of the sear mount. Actually I like the seat being higher as I can get off the machine easier. I am very pleased with the quality of ride that I get while mowing one of my bumpiest places yesterday.
So Mad Mackie is a happy guy, at least with the ride anyway!!!!:thumbsup:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to hear that! Could you get some pictures of that new seat?

I was sure that you used your Scag only for your house.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, that is the seat I purchased. I do haul this machine around to do lawns for a few folk.
The seat has the usual fwd/aft adjustment, weight of operator, back rest, lumbar and arm rest adjustments. I'm not going to switch over the seat belt, but there is provision for it. Also in the pics is the repower 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf engine installed in March of 2013, now has about 175 hours, nice engine. Check out the hourmeter, no more internal battery dependent hourmeters. It took me 5 weeks to run this meter up to machine total time before I installed it. In the hourmeter pic you can see the fuel filter, I had just refueled and it is rare to see the filter so full of fuel.
Check out the pics.

Attachments

• PA260012.JPG
    PA260012.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 26
  • PA260011.JPG
    PA260011.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PA260010.JPG
    PA260010.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PA260009.JPG
    PA260009.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 41
  • PA260008.JPG
    PA260008.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 46
  • PA260007.JPG
    PA260007.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PA260006.JPG
    PA260006.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PA260005.JPG
    PA260005.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

wdrdoctor

Threads
Refresh my memory regarding your tiger cub stats?
Yr model?
Original engine brand and size?
Velocity deck, and size of deck?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
2008 Tiger Cub, 48" Velocity deck, original engine was a 26 HP Briggs ELS. The 26 Briggs ELS had low compression in the #1 (L/H) cylinder due to stuck piston rings. Although is was still running but sneezing at idle, at 473 hours, I replaced it with a new 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf Cyclonic filter engine with an oil cooler. Machine total time is 651 hours, new engine time is 178 hours switched to full synthetic engine oil at 100 hours. Collection system has been on for most of the machine time, 3rd set of blower bearings, 2nd blower fan, 2nd hose from blower to bag housing, new pump drive belt and drive pulleys at 400 hours, 2nd deck V belt, 3rd hourmeter. Same old man operates it!!!

Last edited:

wdrdoctor

Threads
I'm sure there were some wiring mods,etc, you had to do in regards to the briggs cyclonic?

2008 Tiger Cub, 48" Velocity deck, original engine was a 26 HP Briggs ELS. The 26 Briggs ELS had low compression in the #1 (L/H) cylinder due to stuck piston rings. Although is was still running but sneezing at idle, at 473 hours, I replaced it with a new 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf Cyclonic filter engine with an oil cooler. Machine total time is 651 hours, new engine time is 178 hours switched to full synthetic engine oil at 100 hours. Collection system has been on for most of the machine time, 3rd set of blower bearings, 2nd blower fan, 2nd hose from blower to bag housing, new pump drive belt and drive pulleys at 400 hours, 2nd deck V belt, 3rd hourmeter. Same old man operates it!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
No wiring mods were needed, electrically it was a direct change out and I used the original muffler. The throttle and choke cable throws on the new engine were about 2/3rds of what the original engine was. I installed a throttle lever stop plate on the throttle lever control and full choke is at about 2/3rds of what the previous engine was. The engine supplier provided me with a bulletin from Briggs about this change and it recommended removing the at engine control cable linkages from the original engine and installing them onto the new engine. I chose not to do that and made the changes at the panel where the throttle and choke levers are mounted.
I always add another ground cable to an engine and drilled and tapped a new hole on a tab on the new engine to connect the 2nd ground cable.

tigercat

Threads
You keep your machine in wonderful condition!

Nice meter! It fits like a glove.:thumbsup: