Scag seat safety switch ?

Homer1

Threads
So even my dealer questioned this, and I really didn't pay it any mind being that it really didn't matter to me, but how exactly is the scag safety setup supposed to operate.

Should I be able to get up with the arms in the neutral open position and the parking brake on with the engine running still, or will it always shut off? I know it shuts off when I get up due to the seat sensor, but some mowers allow you to "park" and disengage the PTO for you, letting you get off to remove obstacles, then hop back on and release the brake, then reset the PTO.

I am pretty sure engaging the park brake even while sitting on the mower and setting the park lock shuts the engine off as well.

Just a curiosity I had. It may be set up right. And it really doesn't matter to me, but it just seems like I will put more wear on the starter this way, if I can't hop off and pick things up from time to time with park locked and arms open.

Hope that sounds right.

Thanks!

Sonders

Threads
it should work with pakring brake set, steer levers in open locked position and pto disengaged. Should be able to get out of seat with engine running. On mine that's how it works.

Homer1

Threads
Even the dealer mentioned that, they had to have wired something backwards. I will have to check it out. If anyone has any ideas on what to look at let me know.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looking at the wiring diagram for Scag Freedom Z Pro.
Other Scag ZTRs above the level of Freedom Zs have the electronic control module that controls all the safety circuits and have safety switches that are two terminal and a cranking relay.
The Freedom Z and Pro do not have the electronic control module nor the cranking relay. In their place, the electrical system is wired to use safety switches that are four terminal and basically a double switch. This removes the electronic control module and the cranking relay, but does add more wiring.
Your Scag dealers service department will need to become knowledgeable of the systems on the Freedom Z models and how they differ from the higher level machines. With the added wiring, the electrical diagram is a little more difficult to read, but still logical.
They way that I read the diagram and your problem, either the seat switch or the PTO switch may be defective or wired incorrectly in the engine shut down circuit, (white wire on the diagram) This wire, when grounded, will shut the engine down.
When I need to read electrical diagrams, I enlarge sections of the diagram on my copy machine, then put the pieces back together so I can more easily read them.
Have fun!!!:laughing: I always do!!!

Homer1

Threads
Thanks. I will start hunting down wires this weekend when I mow again. I would hope to see, since the parking brake lever seems to cause the problem, that it's only a wire installed backwards.

There is a diagram with my manual but it's black and white. I will try and make sense of it, and see what happens. I'll report back to the shop what it was, and hopefully they correct it in the future. This is a high end shop, the Freedom Z was probably their lowest tier mower there. I still love the mower though.

Homer1

Threads
Ok after mowing today, I looked at all the switches and they appear to be installed correctly. However Here is what I noticed. I am able to put the arms in the Neutral / parked position, and engage the parking brake with the unit running, however as soon as I attempt to get off the seat the mower dies... in Park, PTO off, at any throttle.

Makes me wonder if there is just an issue with the Seat sensor.

Also, after looking at the diagram of wiring, it looks little different as the plugs all have wires coming out of the 1 side of the plug, as opposed to the view that shows 2 going in 1 side and 2 on the other.

Also, There doesn't appear any way to wire this incorrectly. It's part of a harness and 1 side has a clip that clips onto the unit in a one way fashion. It is possible the seat switch would be the problem?

Or, is this unit supposed to shut off when you come out of the seat regardless?

Thanks,

Homer

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
As I read the wiring diagram for the seat switch, I think that the engine shutting down when the operator gets off the seat with the engine running, levers out, brake lever on, PTO off, is the way the system is wired.
This is different from higher level Scag machines as the operator may get off the seat and the engine will continue to run providing the same conditions are met.

B737capt

Threads
My Freedom Z works like post #2. Handles out, brake set, PTO off - it stays running. In fact I let it idle and cool off when I'm done every time while I crank up the back pack blower and blow the grass off it.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looking at the wiring diagrams of the Freedom Z Pro and older Freedom Z models, the Pro and closely related models have a different wiring and safety switching setup from all other Freedom Z models. At the moment I don't have the time to expand the wiring diagrams and trace their operation, but I will do so later on.