Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

90cummins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello;
I just bought a Scag STHM 3 wheel 61 mower.
A friend had it for sale and we talked about our age catching up with us. I was using a 52 Snapper Hydro but my back/legs were very painful even when using a sulky so mowing was no longer possible.
I asked him about his mower so he dripped it off for a test ride. I thought mowing would never be enjoyable again, I was wrong!
That machine was a joy to operate, very maneuverable and comfortable for me so I bought it for $1100.
Mowing under bushes and trees is very easy with the mower deck out front.
One of the best features to me is the ability to mow overgrown high grass/brush with the mower raised up avoiding those rock & stumps that were forgotten about. With the tapered roller bearing spindles an occasional (OOPS) does no damage unlike ball bearing spindles.
Keeping 4 acres mowed will now be enjoyable!!
The engine had 3000 hours on it & was a bit weak but the machine otherwise was solid.
Off to E-bay I go looking for an engine.
I found a seller who was parting out a new CV22s so I bought the short block for $280.
So I have a winter project restoring this for the next 20+ years of mowing.
I'm actually looking forward to next year's mowing.
Any advice or suggestions welcome.

90cummins

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to these forums....
Front deck mowers are absolutely the Best Plus Good Used commercial equipment is always worth owning and repairing... that is a great mower.... :smile:KennyV

jvsr1949

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is James and my wife is Pat. We bought a 2004 tiger Cub new and have had near zero trouble with it. I mow 4-5 acres with it....no real grass...just large weeds and small brush here in central Texas.

Bmgillum

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is Buddy Gillum and while I do not own a Scag yet, I will by spring...looking at a 61" Tiger Cat...just have to decide on which engine...

Cheers/bg

Threads
My name is Buddy Gillum and while I do not own a Scag yet, I will by spring...looking at a 61" Tiger Cat...just have to decide on which engine...

Cheers/bg

That will be a nice mower. Post some pictures here when you get it. :smile:

tbart16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I am Tom from Pennsylvania
I own a 2004 Tiger Cub that I bought new absolutely awesome mower!!

Jgreenlee81187

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I just purchased a tiger cat 52 inch cut with a 22 horse Kawasaki. It's the fx691v motor. I've been told by 3 different dealerships including the one I purchased it from to crank the mower at full throttle, to shut it off at full throttle, to engage blades at full throttle, and disengage at full throttle. I've never heard such a thing on any other lawn mower but I have been told if I didn't do it that it would eventually blow a head gasket. Seems backwards to me. Also, the owners manual says to crank normally, half throttle when starting and idle when shutting off. I would just like to get some feedback on this and see if any other scag owners have been told this.

tigercat

Threads
Hi I just purchased a tiger cat 52 inch cut with a 22 horse Kawasaki. It's the fx691v motor. I've been told by 3 different dealerships including the one I purchased it from to crank the mower at full throttle, to shut it off at full throttle, to engage blades at full throttle, and disengage at full throttle. I've never heard such a thing on any other lawn mower but I have been told if I didn't do it that it would eventually blow a head gasket. Seems backwards to me. Also, the owners manual says to crank normally, half throttle when starting and idle when shutting off. I would just like to get some feedback on this and see if any other scag owners have been told this.

I have the same mower, nice machine!

In my humble opinion, your dealer is full of it!:confused2:

Engage the PTO at 3/4 throttle and mow at full rpm. You can idle it down to shut it off. Turn off the PTO anytime you want.:thumbsup:

whelch1

Threads
I agree with tigercat. What he said is exactly what my dealer told me, and it also said the same thing in my owners manual.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Scag operators manual has the best recommendations.
I turn the PTO on and off at full throttle, but just my way of operating, I do inspect the clutch periodically and I keep a new clutch in my parts stash.
On small engines that are governed, the throttle control is connected to the engine governor, the governor is connected to the throttle in the carburetor. When the engine is running, the governor controls the engine RPM based on where it is set by the throttle control. When an engine is shut down at full throttle, as the RPMs decrease, the governor pushes the carb throttle plate to wide open in an attempt to maintain RPM. This causes maximum fuel flow from the carb to enter the hot engine that no longer has spark at its spark plugs. This unburned fuel then passes into the hot muffler. Sometimes this hot fuel will burn in the muffler causing a loud bang and possible damage to the muffler. Most engines have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb which will stop fuel flow when the keyswitch is in the off position, but the carb fuel bowl will still be full of fuel and this is the fuel that will enter the engine and muffler.
Some techs will say this happens with most generators, many small mowers and other power equipment and they are correct. So why not do it to your lawn mower, what difference does it make??
If an engine has an adjustable throttle control, then use it to start a cold engine at a lower RPM and shut down a hot engine at lower RPM.
Almost all ZTRs have some type of engine driven drive system, and consideration to the drive systems and let them warm up some at a cold start I think is a sensible way to operate a machine.
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

Last edited: