SCAG Freedom Z vs Hustler Fastrak

kingb0305

Threads
I'm sorry, I know there are a ton of threads here about "which to buy", but I can't find anything current comparing the two zero turns I'm considering, so here is another one.....

I mow 2.5 acres of mostly flat terrain in South Central PA (small hill in front yard). Looking at the Hustler Fastrak or SCAG Freedom Z. Here are some of the specs:

Hustler Fastrak 54":
- 23hp Kawasaki FR engine
- 22" drive tires, 13" front caster tires
- 54" deck
- Folding ROPS
- 5 gallon fuel capacity
- ZT3100 hydros
- 4 year, 400 hour warranty (3 year warranty on Kawasaki)

SCAG Freedom Z 52":
- 24hp Kohler 7000 Series engine
- 20" drive tires, 11" front caster tires
- 52" deck
- 6.5 gallon fuel capacity
- ZT2800 hydros
- 3 year, 500 hour warranty, 1-year commercial warranty

From the above specs, it seems the Hustler would win, but there are things SCAG advertises that Hustler doesn't. I don't know if Hustler has them or not. Some include:
- Self adjusting belt system
- Easy to release dump valves (move mower without power)
- Ogura G1 PTO clutch brake

I have experience with SCAG, but it was a Tiger Cub and obviously commercial. I don't have any experience with these residential/light commercial machines. Loved the durability and cut of the SCAG, though we did have issues later in life (1900 hours) with the Kawasaki motor. Do the above specs REALLY tell the tale??? I haven't seen, heard, or read anything concrete about Kohler vs Kawasaki, seems they both have their following, and I don't mean for this thread to debate that. The 3100 hydros allow for only about 1/2 mph more. The extra one year warranty doesn't make or break the deal for me as both motors carry the same warranty. Will the larger tires make a big difference?

I have a relationship with the SCAG dealer and know they are good guys. In visiting and talking with the folks at the Hustler dealer, they seem fine.

Those that have experience with either or both of these units, could you please chime in and give me your opinion? Anything else with these two that I should be considering? Thank you for your help folks!

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going to head you toward the Hustler Fastrak or Fastrak SD and here is why.
Bigger rear tire are better for ride quality and reduced turf damage when turning.
If an option between Kawasaki and Kohler, I would go with the Kawasaki in these model ranges.
With a Hustler, the parking brake is on when the travel levers are extended.
The Hustler has a spring tensioning system for both the hydrostatic drive V belt and the deck drive V belt, the deck drive tensioner is adjustable with the chain that is attached. This also makes it easier to release the deck drive V belt tension for replacement.
All hydrostatic drive systems have a means to release the system to permit machine movement with the engine inoperative.
Both Ogura and Warner make good clutch systems for mower deck drive.
You can go into both the Hustler Fastrak manuals and Scag Freedom Z manuals available on their respective websites and download the manuals for each to make further comparisons.
Just a few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

kingb0305

Threads
Thank you Mad Mackie!

I took your advice and downloaded the model specific information. In looking at the model the dealer has, is seems that the Hustler Fastrak (Model #933432) has the same tires as the SCAG (20" Drive Tires, 13" Front Caster). For correction sake, it also states a 6.8 gal tank (not 5 gal from my original post).

Also, not mentioned in my post, quoted prices for each:
- SCAG Freedom Z 52" $5,100
- Hustler Fastrak 54" $6,150

I was leaning towards the Hustler, but now that I see the true specs and compare pricing, I don't know that I can justify $1k more for the Hustler.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Freedom Z, 6.5 gallon tank, 20" rear tires, same for all deck sizes, Kohler 7000 engine.
Hustler Fastrak, 5.0 gallon tank, 22" rear tires, wider tires on larger deck models, Kawasaki FR series engines.

Have you looked at a Freedom Z Pro model?

kingb0305

Threads
I looked and sat on the Freedom Z, and just wasn't thrilled with it. I realize it's only 2" difference in drive tire size, but size matters :thumbsup: Went to see the Hustler FastTrak and that dealer also sells Ferris. Really liked the Ferris IS700z, but the reviews for the Briggs&Stratton Commercial Turf aren't great, and the cost to upgrade to the Kawasaki FS is pretty steep. The Freedom Z Pro is now being sold as The Patriot and SCAG's entry level true commercial unit. If I can get a good price, I have added that to the top of my list. It has 22" drive tires, ZT3100 hydros, and Kawasaki FX engine. Dealer quoted me $6,899, but was going to try and work on a better price for trade or lower price for mower...